Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ars
      #90824 - 02/29/04 01:54 PM

What exactly are the symptoms of ARS, when do they occur, can one symptom show up at a time or do they all happen at the same time. I've had night sweats, diahrea, and a rash on my cheek, but it seems to be a couple of days with night sweats then a couple of days with diahrea, now a rash on my cheek. My now EX-boyfriend told me he use Iv drugs once while we seeing each other and we had sex 4 times after he did it, this was only in the past month, my symptoms started within 2 1/2 weeks of our earliest sex after he used drugs. All sex was unprotected and on two of the occasions he came in me.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Switch625
Guru

Reged: 08/07/03
Re: Ars new
      #90874 - 03/01/04 10:04 AM

Acute HIV infection is the period of time when an HIV infected person is seroconverting; that is, they are mounting an immune response against HIV, developing antibodies that will signify that he or she is HIV antibody positive. At least 80% of people recently infected with HIV will experience symptoms related to acute HIV infection approximately 2-4 weeks after exposure. Symptoms can vary in each individual, the most common symptoms being fever, headache, fatigue, rash, lymphadenopathy, myalgia/arthralgia, sore throat, mouth ulcers, and in rare cases, people can develop opportunistic infections, such as PCP. Symptoms usually last up to two weeks, and possibly longer.

Trying to determine your HIV status based on symptoms you are experiencing is unwise, anxiety provoking, and unreliable. Recent HIV infection (acute HIV infection, acute retroviral syndrome) should only be considered if ALL of the following are true:

1) You had unprotected vaginal or anal sex (inserting or receiving a penis without a condom) within the past three months.

2) Your partner was known to be HIV infected, or is a person who is in a "high-risk" category (a man who has sex with men, an injection drug user, or a person who has sexual contact with others in an area of high HIV incidence or prevalence, like sub-Saharan Africa).

3) Your symptoms are indicative of acute HIV infection (febrile illness, sometimes compared to flu or mono). The specific symptoms can vary from person to person, but acute infection most often manifests in this "flu-like" manner.
If all of the above are true for you, see a doctor to have your symptoms evaluated. If all of the above are not true, you should still have your symptoms evaluated by a doctor, but it is not likely that they are related to HIV infection.

--------------------
Life is meant for living, not fearing.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1683

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3