Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
BahamianQT

Reged: 02/23/04
Elisa Results are Conflicting!
      #90258 - 02/23/04 11:41 PM

Hi, I am a very anxious high risk 18 year old heterosexual female. I say that I am high risk because I have had unprotected sex with seven men in the past seven months! I was prompted to test when one of the guys came up with symptoms of constant pain in the groin area. In mid-January I was tested for all STDs. My tests for gonorrhea and chlamydia were positive and I was treated for those as such. Approximately three weeks after this, I received my HIV results and was informed that my Elisa came back positive and I had a western blot test of indeterminate (this was based on blood drawn prior to treatment for the STDs). My last possible exposure occurred in December 03 and I was convinced that I was seroconverting until a second Elisa was done. This came back negative (3 weeks post-treatment for the STDs). I then proceeded to order a $377 PCR test from LabCorp one week following this, and the result was that no virus below 400/mL could be detected. I have had another western blot test performed today, which will make it about two months since possible exposure. Since the results won't be in until the end of this week, I am very concerned about my conflicting test results and just wanted to know if anyone else had a similar situation.

Also, I cannot seem to find a firm answer to the following question. Does viral load decrease with increasing production of antibodies? Also, does anyone believe that my STD infections could have caused a false-positive Elisa since my body was producing antibodies to fight off these? If so, could this possibly account for the second Elisa showing up as negative? I do understand that the Elisa is very sensitive but not as specific as the Western Blot in determining antibodies associated with HIV.

Sorry this post is so long, but just wanted to get someone’s opinion.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BahamianQT

Re: Elisa Results are Conflicting! new
      #90291 - 02/24/04 01:01 PM

Is the reason why no one is replying because you think I may have it? I am not afraid of negative comments. I just need something! I'm full of anxiety over here.

rjasin123
Guardian

Reged: 01/27/04
Re: new
      #90294 - 02/24/04 01:33 PM

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/publications/hivaids/9.htm

During the initial primary infection (weeks leading up to seroconversion), the viral load of an individual will rise exponentially (see my link diagram). During your immune system response (seroconversion) there is a general reduction in viremia. This would not however lower the viremia to undectable levels on a PCR.

I would leave the second guessing alone until the results of your latest Western Blot assay come back. I hope you may it buy this time, and I hope you use this as a lesson to always wear condoms in the future.

Good Luck

rjasin123
Guardian

Reged: 01/27/04
      #90295 - 02/24/04 01:35 PM

I also will tell you that the presense of your STD's would not have been a factor in a false + on the ELISA.

Jazz

BahamianQT

#90296 - 02/24/04 01:42 PM

Thanks for your informative reply; I appreciate it!

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Elisa Results are Conflicting! new
      #90513 - 02/25/04 01:39 PM

It does not sound like you have HIV since the WB did not come back positive, and your PCR was -. You dodged the bullet this time, i hope you will stop your unsafe sex behavior. You are an HIV case waiting to happen, since you have already caught 2 other STD's.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1714

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3