Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

raped
      #89062 - 02/17/04 05:53 PM

I am a female who was recently raped by a guy. A few days later I found out he could possibly have HIV. Assuming he does, what are the chances of me becoming infected, is there any chance I am not infected? He didn't use a condom but pulled out. How long should I wait to first be tested? After that test when should I be tested again? I am so scared, please help!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sweetpea9919
Master

Reged: 10/22/03
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Re: raped new
      #89107 - 02/17/04 06:37 PM

You went through a horrible experience, and my heart goes out to you. Let me try to answer your questions as best as I can, but remember, I'm not a doctor, and I recommend you see one.

> Even if the rapist has HIV, that does not mean you automatically get it. The fact that he did not ejaculate inside you lowers your risk even more.

> The CDC lowered the window of testing to three months, or 12-13 weeks. Most people sero-convert much sooner (6 weeks or so). But I would stick to their guidelines and wait until the 13 week mark.

There are a lot of other dieseases you should worry about, as well. Those can be picked up much more quickly, even if you don't have symptoms. (Most women don't experience symptoms for other STD's.) Herpes, chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphillis, HPV (genital warts), etc. And they are easy to catch than HIV, too. If you haven't done so already, I urge you to see a doctor, tell him/her hat happened, and have them run the standard "rape" tests.

How is your mental health doing? Have you spoken with a counselor? Are you pressing charges? Do you know the guy?

Take care of your body, mind, and soul.

--------------------
Erika
Married; 31 years old
HIV+ 10 years... and counting

Anonymous
Unregistered

#89154 - 02/17/04 08:32 PM

My whole life has been completly turned upside down. I know the guy fairly well. I haven't pressed charges yet but I DO have proof. To top it all off my period is now about 5 days late but that could be because I have been stressed out.

I don't quite no what I am going to do yet. I will end up going to the doctor for at least a pregnacy test and maybe for other STD tests and in 13 weeks or so I am going to be tested for HIV. Thanks for your response.

anonymous
Unregistered

#89157 - 02/17/04 09:18 PM

If I was you I would go right now and be tested. HIV isn't anything to wait on. I'm not trying to scare you but there is the possiblity that you could have and you need help.

Moffie
All Star

Reged: 02/14/04
Loc: Arizona
      #89190 - 02/18/04 08:56 AM

Hi Anon;
My heart goes out to you. Girlfriend, the main thing that you must do is to take care of yourself. It tears me up when I read of anybody being assulted in this manner and I cannot relate to the pain and suffering that it must cause, and the terribly lonely feelings that you must have.
Stick around here and read the postings that come in for others and the questions that they pose. First off, you will find out that you are not alone and also the answers to HIV questions will educate and enlighten you about the situation that you find yourself in.
Sweetpea is right, do all the tests and take care of yourself. Try to focus on things that make you smile, the resulting endorphins in your brain will help you find clarity.
Peace and Love to you.

--------------------
Yours;
Tim
"Living Positive Since '83"

Anonymous
Unregistered

#89246 - 02/18/04 06:25 PM

My heart goes out to you. I really do think you should get tested for all STD'S. Also, you should consider pressing charges so this animal doesn't do this to someone else. The authorities will automatically test him for everything when he's in custody. Good Luck, and God Speed.

Parrothead
Fanatic

Reged: 01/27/04
Loc: Atlantic Beach, FL
      #89270 - 02/18/04 07:48 PM

Wow. I have never been in a situation like yours, but I can just imagine how you must be feeling right now. I am so sorry you are having to deal with this...

Regarding HIV... this is a one time encounter with a person who, chances are is HIV negative, and he didn't ejaculate inside of you. All of these things lower your risk. I definitely suggest you be tested at 13 weeks, but I believe you will be fine. As far as the stressing out is concerned, I recently went through a "scare" of my own. My partner was confirmed to actually be positive, however. I tested negative. I had basically convinced myself that I would make the most out of my life even if I was positive. Luckily, I won't have to face that actuality. This site, among others, was very theraputic for me when I was going through my "waiting period". It may be the same for you... however some people stress out even more when they read about HIV. It's something you have to decide for yourself. Good luck, hun.

Amanda

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1885

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3