Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Opporuntistic Infections? HELP
      #87883 - 02/15/04 05:44 PM

When do opportunistic infections begin to develpop in an individual? Is it possible to develop Oral Thrush a year after infection?

Could someone please exlain when opporutnistic infections begin and how long it takes after infection of hiv? please help

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Opporuntistic Infections? HELP new
      #88066 - 02/15/04 10:00 PM

Opportunistic infections usually arise when the immune system is no longer able to fight off infection. This has been historically seen with CD4 levels below 200, but may also be seen with comorbidity (other infections) and a rapid decline in CD4's. Rapid declines in CD4 are often associated with a high viral load but not always. If you are experiencing symptoms of illness and know that you are HIV + you need to have CD4 count and Viral load tests done and possibly start medications. You can view the current treatment guidlines at the NIH website. They recommend starting meds at a CD4 count less than 300.

Moffie
All Star

Reged: 02/14/04
Loc: Arizona
      #88495 - 02/16/04 10:27 AM

Hi Anon;
The direct answer to your question is an emphatic YES!
I know for a fact, because it happened to me.
You need to get to your local health department or ask them who is the best HIV/AIDS organization in your area.
You asked a question that still has medical professionals scratching their collective heads. Nobody can tell you the answer in an affirmative fashion, due to hygene habits and other individual characteristics.
Make sure and get to the Doctor and get tested and find out where you are medically. If in fact you are not HIV+ Thrush can happen to anybody that has a comprimised imune system, for whatever reason.
Peace!

--------------------
Yours;
Tim
"Living Positive Since '83"

rjasin123
Guardian

Reged: 01/27/04
      #89111 - 02/17/04 08:14 PM

Dear Anon:

After primary infection, HIV infection enters into an asymptomatic "latency" period which lasts 10+ years for most folks.

OI's only are present during the time when HIV infection turns into AIDS. Meaning, once your immune system is fully compromised due to HIV infection, you begin to become susceptible to OI’s

Cheers

Jazz

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1245

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3