Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is it possible?????
      #86720 - 02/09/04 05:20 PM

Here is my story: I am female and had relations with another female (friend) one time only due to too many mixed drinks however she and her husband have been with other couples before. She said she was clean. It scared the hell out of me and I am now terrified. I told my husband what happened. He and I had unprotected sex several days after the my stupid and shamefull incident and have continued to have sex. He was tested 4months after our first encounter together for a physical and was negative. I am now pregnant and awaiting results from my pregnancy panel. I am terrified and this has been plagueing me. Since my husband tested negative 4months after his and mine first sexual encounter since my stupid mistake can I assume that I am negative too.
please help

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Is it possible????? new
      #86745 - 02/09/04 05:53 PM

Just because your husband tested negative, doesn't mean you are negative. HIV isn't nessacsarily transfered after every sexual exspoure. And, also, he should've been tested at least 3 months after your LAST sexual encounter with him, not from the first encounter since your "drunken mistake".

But, I'm assuming that it was oral sex that you and your friend engaged in, and from all I've read oral sex carries a low risk for contracting HIV. Considering this was a one-time thing, lowers your risk even more.

One more thing, just because someone says they're clean, doesn't mean they are.

Good luck, and be safe.

sweetpea9919
Regular

Reged: 10/22/03
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
      #86750 - 02/09/04 07:50 PM

Hi there,

I assume that in your prenancy panel, they did a routine HIV test, correct? If they didn't, you should get one anyways. Your husband testing negative has nothing to do with your own health.

That being said, you should know that it is very hard for women to pass it to each other, via oral sex or sharing sex toys. (Of course, I like to be very cautious and say "anything is possible".) The risk would be greater if your friend was HIV positive and had a high viral load, and the risk would definitely be higher if she was positive and around her menstrual cycle. (There can be minute amounts of blood present around the cervix and inside the vagina in the few days before and after a women's period has ended.)

You should also get tested for all other sexually transmitted infections... genital warts (HPV), herpes, chlamydia, gonnoreah.... these are all transmitted much easier than HIV is- and some can be very harmful to an unborn fetus. You should be honest with your OB/GYN, tell him/her what happened, and tell him/her that to be safe, you'd like routine tests for all of these, if they haven't already been done. You're probably fine, but why gamble?

I wish you the best.

--------------------
Erika
Married; 31 years old
HIV+ 10 years... and counting

Parrothead

Reged: 01/27/04
Loc: Atlantic Beach, FL
      #86849 - 02/10/04 08:08 AM

I agree with the two previous posts on this. I think your risk was very low, however, there is always a chance. I know that with both of my pregnancies I was automatically tested for HIV, so I assume you will be also. If not, request one. And just as the others said, just because your husband is negative, doesn't necessarily mean that you are. It's much harder to pass the virus from a woman to a man, so it would be possible for him not to contract the virus in a few encounters... I believe you are going to test negative, however, remember how you're feeling right now and vow not to put yourself at risk again. You're going to be a mother. You have your children to think of now.

Also, about her saying she was clean.... Don't believe that... That's how I got my risky scare. He said he was clean and then tested positive for HIV 3 months later. He didn't even know he was infected. Just be careful and good luck with motherhood. :)

Amanda

Anonymous
Unregistered

#86851 - 02/10/04 12:10 PM

Amanda,
Did you ever test positive?

Parrothead

Reged: 01/27/04
Loc: Atlantic Beach, FL
      #86852 - 02/10/04 01:06 PM

Nope, I tested on Jan 16th and I got my results back on the 5th of Feb. I'm Negative!!! YAY! :)

Amanda

Anonymous
Unregistered

#87191 - 02/13/04 06:18 PM

Just wanted to let you all know that my results came back and they are negative :) it has been 8 months since the stupid mistake. I thank God everyday!!! Thankyou Thankyou
And thanks to all who replied.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1906

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3