Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
lpk

Reged: 02/08/04
Need to confirm negative result??
      #86587 - 02/08/04 06:32 PM

Have tested negative after about 3 years after possible exposure. Is there any need to retest after this amount of time? People are always recommended to retest after testing positive- why would this not be the same for negative results?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
Re: Need to confirm negative result?? new
      #86606 - 02/08/04 07:46 PM

No nned to re test unles you have had any risky behavior since. 3mo is conclusive.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
      #86613 - 02/08/04 09:12 PM

There is no reason to test again. Any test after 3 months is considered conclusive.

It sounds as if you are a little misinformed about the testing procedures when an ELISA is positive. A person doesn't RETEST. The same blood sample is use to perform a Western Blot. The reason for this is because the ELISA can give false positives due to it's sensitivity. The WB is used to confirmed that the ELISA was indeed a positive, not a FALSE postiive.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#86615 - 02/08/04 09:24 PM

Trust the CDC guidelines : in your situation, there is NO need to retest. You should talk to mental health counselor instead.

Take care

A friend

lpk

Reged: 02/08/04
      #86679 - 02/09/04 05:00 AM

[quote]Have tested negative after about 3 years after possible exposure. Is there any need to retest after this amount of time? People are always recommended to retest after testing positive- why would this not be the same for negative results? [/quote]

Thanks for your replies. I suppose the reason I ask is that when I went for the test I was convinced that I had symptoms that were HIV related. After 3 years this would be serious. Fully expecting a positive result I was a bit surprised to hear that it was actually negative. I even phoned the test centre to ask if they could possibly have mixed up my results with someone else's. They say this has never happened before and would be extremely rare, in fact they say they have never had a false negative result. They think that I am being overly anxious.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#86857 - 02/10/04 03:28 PM

You do not need to test again. Unless of course, if you had a unsafe sexual encounter in that time.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2141

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3