Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
JustAGirl
Unregistered

Contact with blood and scared!
      #85406 - 02/04/04 10:12 AM

Hi everyone,

Something happened to me at work the other night that really scared me and I was hoping someone could help. I work in retail, and a guy (maybe 60 years old) and his wife came in the store to make a purchase. I rang them up, but I noticed one of the guy's fingers was bleeding (very weird!) and about 20 minutes after they left I saw a couple mostly-dried bloodspots on the counter, about the size of fingerprints. I got a Clorox disinfectant wipe to clean it up but I didn't put any gloves on, which in hindsight is what's making me really worried. I was careful not to touch the blood, but one of my fingers slipped in the disinfectant on the counter while I was cleaning up, and I panicked that it might have slid right into the blood. I inspected my finger, even tried wiping it off to see if any blood was present, and it didn't appear that I'd gotten any blood on myself. Also, I did not have any cuts, abrasions, hangnails, etc. on my hand or fingers. So I finished cleaning up the blood, then wiped my hands with antibacterial gel and also washed with soap and water. But now I am *really* worried that there was some microscopic amount of blood on my finger and that I got infected (even though I don't even know if this guy had HIV!).

Hopefully I am worrying for no reason, but now I am agonizing that I have to wait three months to test. Is it even necessary for me to be concerned about this, or is it just so unlikely that I may as well forget it? This has been making me miserable--I am so angry at myself for not protecting my hands! Oh well, lesson learned the hard way, I suppose...

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Contact with blood and scared! new
      #85409 - 02/04/04 12:26 PM

once airborn hiv dies quickly plus the type of cut youd need on yourself to become infected is something like youd see in a horror movie. the amount of blood to get into that cut something to that affect. no worries your risk is nil you dont have hiv

sweetpea9919
Regular

Reged: 10/22/03
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Re: Contact with blood and scared! new
      #85577 - 02/04/04 07:22 PM

The other person who responded is correct- HIV starts dying the minutes it's exposed to air, and dies completely very soon after. It needs to enter your blood stream or mucous membrane for you to have any risk.

There was absolutely NO RISK here. Please don't worry, and don't spread your fears to others. We need to educate on how it's transmitted, and this is not the way.

--------------------
Erika
Married; 31 years old
HIV+ 10 years... and counting

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2118

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3