Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Home Access, how good at 2 months?
      #8470 - 08/16/00 03:07 PM

Hi, I've been frantically reading this board for 2 months, but I seldom post. I figured out the only way to potentially restore my happiness now is to take a test. Now I'm at 8 weeks after the possible exposure. My state has the name reporting system, I am not sure if I want any government agency to have my name in case the result is not what I want. I don't want to use a fake name and lie in the perhaps most important test in my life, so the Home Access is my only option.

Now my question is, how good is Home Access at 8 weeks. From Rick S. and Ryan K. it seems the average people develop enough antibody to be picked up around 22~27 days (reports differ), and "most" people can be picked up at 3 months. Assuming a linear relationship between time and "detectability", is it ok for me to assume Home Access is about 70% accurate at this point? Of course, the 70% is meaningful to me only if my test turns out negative. I do not dare to think about the other possibility. I know even if the result at 2 weeks is negative I should still be tested at 3 months, and possibly 6 months. But my anxiety is too much to bear for another 4 weeks. Please advice and good luck to everyone.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Home Access, how good at 2 months? new
      #8472 - 08/16/00 03:36 PM

My advise. Wait one more month, i know its hard, then take an elisa test that checks hiv 1 & 2 (so its a second or third generation) and then that result should be conclusive. Anyway, you must know, that with any test, MOST people will develop antibodies within 1-2 months.

GaryNPA
Guru

Reged: 08/01/00
      #8479 - 08/16/00 05:04 PM

My advice: wait the 4 extra weeks, however hard it might be, and get a "real" test done. At 3 months, the anonymous home access test is less accurate than what is done through a physician's office or a hospital, or a lab.

Remember, a doctor is prevented from disclosing medical records about you unless you authorize it. If you are that worried, drive to the next state over, take the test at an emergency room and just pay them for services in cash or check.

By the way, you didnt mention what your exposure was, so it's hard to relate any relative sense of risk.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#8486 - 08/16/00 09:12 PM

Thanks for the reply. I just did the test a few hours ago, before I saw any of your replies. I should get the result late Friday. In the meantime I can only pray. I know the test will not be conclusive, but I felt a little relieved from the anxiety. I didn't know if I could hold on for another 4 weeks. I will drive to a neighboring state to do the 3 month test using the latest generation test they offer.

As for my exposure, here it is, very long and graphic... I had unprotected insertive anal intercourse. I think it lasted less than one minute, because I was thinking about the risk while doing it and I was trying to get it done and get away from him. I was worried, even though I don't have any abrasion or sore or other known STD on my penis I know it doesn't eliminate the risk. It's hard to understand why I did it knowing what I knew. The mind is a tricky thing. I was even more worried after the act since I figured if somebody is so willing to get f*cked without a condom, by a stranger, let the stranger c*m inside him even after being told that the stranger is about to c*m, he must have been +ve or won't stay -ve for long. To make the matter worse, I had an identical incident a year ago. Somehow I managed to bury that one and not worried about it. Which is probably why I let myself into this one. I think, I must be a bad person. I might have been able to bury this one if the following events didn't happen. But, after being totally scared beyond my worst nightmares, I know I won't be doing it again....

3 days after the incident I got "dizzy spells". Last time I had such "dizzy spells" it turned out to be chicken pox. So I was concerned. I confirmed it's a high fever (102F) and went to an ER. The doctor found bacterial antigen in my urine and elevated white blood cell count in the blood. He gave me an antibiotics shot and Tylenol. The fever lingered on for 4 days at around 100F, but it did respond to Tylenol and Advil to some extent. Can you elaborate on more details about, in a previous post dated 8/10, you said "Advil, etc would have a hard time knocking it down for a couple days."? I was able to bring the fever down to 98F for about 6 hours each time with Advil. I was holding onto this, and other previous posts saying ARS is unlikely to happen so soon after possible exposure (thanks, BDG and Not_scared).

On the other hand, right before I felt I have a fever, I had my worst hemorrhoid flare-up, which is totally unrelated to, and after, the unsafe sex act. It was so bad that I joked to myself that if I wanted to do a Home Access test then, I didn't really need to puncture my finger. ;):( My follow-up internalist thinks the hemorrhoids explained the one swollen and sore lymph node in the groin area, and the fever. He also thinks the antibiotics I got in the ER helped to reduce the fever. Anyway, after the 4th day since the fever's onset, that's the 8th day after the unsafe incident, the fever is gone. From then till now, I didn't have any other fever (I took my temp 3 times a day every day). I didn't have a rash. I might have some sore muscle and joints and headaches, but that's not unusual for me even before this incident. I sometimes feel sore on my neck, not at the lymph nodes but near the collarbone.

Both the doctors and I agree I must have some kind of infection. I just don't know whether it's a flu, a urinary tract infection (I didn't have a problem urinating but bacterial antigen was found in the urine), inflammed/infected hemorrhoid, or something worse.

So here I am, not knowing how my future is going to be, can't do anything but pray for being negative. I know the statistics is on my side, even after 2 unsafe acts, but after that fever I am not so convinced, even though I don't know what caused the fever. If I have this test result negative, at least I can write off the previous incident and have a better chance. I can't shake loose the doomed feelings in my head. I think a lot about suicide plans (for now it seems carbon monoxide is the best, although there're some technical details that need to be worked out). I kicked myself for knowing the risks yet still took the risk, TWICE. The risk may seem small, but when I got the fever, it can't be any truer or closer.

I hope this is just a wake-up call that I should not do this stupid thing again. I know I won't. Thanks for listening. And hope everybody get the results he or she wants.

GaryNPA
Guru

Reged: 08/01/00
      #8490 - 08/16/00 10:25 PM

Our exposures were the same and I am negative. My encounter was not for a minute....it was for the better part of half an hour of vigorous activity.

You will be fine. Suicide is not an option here. Suicide leaves loved ones hurting more than knowing that you made a mistake that you can be forgiven for. God forgives sins of the flesh when you ask, he doesnt forgive taking your own life (at least as I was brought up to believe this).

Your symptoms occured too soon after the exposure to be ARS. Mine all started 3 1/2 weeks after the exposure and I had almost all the typical ARS symptoms. Imagine my emotional state.... timing was right - symptoms were right.... and I had a high risk exposure. BUT I CAME OUT NEGATIVE!~ You will too.!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#8499 - 08/17/00 03:54 AM

Thanks, Gary. You have no idea how much encouragement you just gave me. Your other posts have been very informative and I am sure they helped a lot of people on this board, myself included. I can feel for the fear and anxiety you had. I really do. I am totally happy you came out ok, not just for you, I think you can understand why.

Congratulations to you, Gary, and good luck to everybody.

Anxiety Stricken
Unregistered

#8522 - 08/17/00 01:25 PM

Home Access is just as accurate as any test out there. It is just not a sensative in early settings. It is just as accurate at 3 months and 6 months as any other test.

Negative at 8 weeks should certainly be taken as a good sign.

Anxiety Stricken
Unregistered

#8523 - 08/17/00 01:33 PM

Hey you already tested negative at 2 months. That tells you one good thing. You did not get HIV from your exposure last year.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1944

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3