Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

6 MONTH WINDOW PERIOD, NO MORE?
      #8460 - 08/16/00 12:11 PM

Hi. From basically ALL the post Ive read recently, it seems that everyone agree that a negative test at 12 weeks (that is, 3 months) will be considered enough and conclusive, right? Everyone seems to agree on that.
BUT, what about all the stuff serious organizations like the CDC, Dr. Gallant and Dr. Feinberg, for instance, say about the 6 months window period.
They all say, sure, a 12 week is a good sign, BUT HEY, it is NOT CONCLUSIVE. One can think that with a 12 week negative test he/she would be in the CLEAR but he/she could BE INFECTED and not know about it all because he/she didnt take the test at 6 months.
IF 3 MONTHS OR 12 WEEKS WERE TO BE CONCLUSIVE, WHY MANY DOCTORS AND THE CDC (A SERIOUS ORGANIZATION) STILL SAY 6 MONTHS?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: 6 MONTH WINDOW PERIOD, NO MORE? new
      #8465 - 08/16/00 12:56 PM

Take your point but then why would European Health Authorities say 3 months? Are they not serious? Is HIV different in the USA? I don't think so. The CDC are just covering themselves for the tiny amount of cases that present with HIV after the 3 month period.

eddie14

Reged: 06/16/00
Loc: midwestern united states
      #8468 - 08/16/00 01:40 PM

The CDC's and the other doctors you mentioned say six months because they are basing it on the most common test used in the United States, The ELISA generation 1 test. This is the test that is used used in most of the free clinics, and this is the test that is used by Home Access.

For a later generation ELISA test, the window is a recommended 3 months, but like I said, this is not the generation used by most free clinics, or the Home Access.
That is why the CDC and alot of doctors still say six months. They are counting for the majority of the tests out there.

And so I have a little less than 2 months until my 6 month window period is up...

GaryNPA
Guru

Reged: 08/01/00
      #8478 - 08/16/00 05:00 PM

6 months does 2 things.... it covers up for promiscuous people that have many sexual partners and cant truly recall their last encounter (remember that in order to know for sure, your window has to be based on the last statistical risk which many people cant remember). They get freaked out when a symptom shows up whereas most of the people on this board tend to freak out the day after they have the encounter.

3 months catches amost all (95-99%) of people as long as the test was done in a paid professional setting (doctor's office, lab, or hospital). It probably doesnt cut it if you used a mail in service or a free clinic - but even those are supposed to be 90% accurate at 3 months and 99 at 6 months.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Live with the possibility? new
      #8483 - 08/16/00 06:27 PM

So, at 3 months, no matter what test it is used, one have to live with the possibility of 1% that he/she may be infected? Wouldnt it be better to wait till 6 months to be 100% sure instead of 99% sure?

GaryNPA
Guru

Reged: 08/01/00
Re: Live with the possibility? new
      #8494 - 08/16/00 10:39 PM

You will never get to 100%....no matter how long...there will always be the outliers that have to be accounted for.

I'm willing to take my 99% and live my life fully with it.

Obsessing over a 1% chance that a 3% risk for a single unprotected sex encounter will come true is ridiculous (do the math... .01 times .03 is what?) .0003 I can live with those odds!

Anxiety Stricken
Unregistered

#8521 - 08/17/00 01:22 PM

I don't necessarily agree with your statistic of 90%. First generation tests are very sensative these days. They have been amplified through recent technology. Later generation tests are more accurate in seeking early infection, within the first several weeks.

A first generation test at 12 weeks is as sensative as a 2nd or 3rd generation test at that time.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2652

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3