Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
WorryHell

Reged: 01/29/04
Any known cases of infection from fingering ?
      #84498 - 01/31/04 06:17 AM

Can anyone tell me if there is any cases of HIV infection from fingering with/without cut on the fingers ?
Yes. I have been stupid of doing so.
Yes. i am scared and worry about my risk and waiting to be tested next week. Appreciate a helpful advise and encouragement from someone of better knowledge and informative than me to address my concern.
The body website Dr. Bob did not reply any of my email regarding my risk but after reviewing the posting from body website, my risk is very unlikely and no documented case of low risk category but l was so terrified and trauma by the risk that i have.
God Bless you all ...

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Parrothead
Fanatic

Reged: 01/27/04
Loc: Atlantic Beach, FL
Re: Any known cases of infection from fingering ? new
      #84514 - 01/31/04 07:46 AM

Hi, it's always best to get tested just to be safe and to put your own mind at ease, but I think you are probably fine. I myself do not think I have HIV (still awaiting test results), so I'm no expert, but from what I've read and researched, it seems very unlikely you would contract HIV simply from this one incident. But, remember how you're feeling now and play safe from now on. =)

rjasin123
Guardian

Reged: 01/27/04
      #84520 - 01/31/04 11:42 AM

Dear Worry:

There has NEVER been a single documented case of HIV transmission through fingering, NOT ONE.

Furthermore, since you had no open cut, you don't even fit into a theoretical risk.

I don't necessarily agree with Parrot that you should test for piece of mind in this instance. Testing for fingering ties up and WASTES our nations testing resources.

What you need it education. Once you get that, you need to abide by it.

There is no risk here, nor any reason to test at all.

Cheers

Jazz

sweetpea9919
Master

Reged: 10/22/03
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
      #84525 - 01/31/04 12:45 PM

Dear Worry,

It doesn't sound like their was any risk here. Even if you had a cut on your finger, the body starts it's own natural healing process immediatley after a cut happens. Your blood clots and a layer of new skin is formed almost immediatley; that's why we stop bleeding after just a few seconds. Even if, for some reason, your wound was more "open" than not, you would still have to come into DIRECT contact with HIV-infected blood or semen, etc.

There are so many "what-ifs" here. Your risk seems to be very low.

--------------------
Erika
Married; 31 years old
HIV+ 10 years... and counting

Anonymous
Unregistered

#84610 - 02/01/04 08:08 AM

@There has NEVER been a single documented case of HIV transmission through fingering, it becuase people always have sex and fingering togehter. It is difficult to find out whether hiv got from which type of contact.

Moreover, your risk is related to your partner, if she is sex worker or not? she is hiv+ or not?

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
      #84666 - 02/01/04 10:32 PM

Fingering is not considered a risk for tranmission of HIV. It is not something that testing is even recommended for. One of the key variables that must occur for transmission is for the virus to stay within it's enviroment. Studies have shown HIV begins to lose it's ability to infect seconds after exposure to air, and dies within minutes.

Risks for transmission are: unprotected anal or vagainal sex. Higher risk for the receptive partner. These are high risks with anal being higher. Even with this the odds of not being infected are much greater than being infected.

Oral sex: Giving. There is a very low risk. There have been only a handful of confirmed cases in over 20 years.
Receiving: There have been NO confirmed cases in over 20 years. One of the reasons for the above is that studies have shown that Saliva kills the virus. Also the environment is not an enclosed environment and air can be introduced to the virus.

Blood to blood as in transfusions: Expectionally rare or IV Drug use. The highest risk of all.

Mother to child transmission. Mostly through nursing. Again, if you've ever had a baby latch on you know that's can be pretty airtight.

If what your are concerned about is not included in the above then you have had no risk.

To Anon. It's obvious you have some issues over how HIV is transmitted. My guess is that you've had a non-risk and refuse to believe that. There is no need to try to scare people with misinformation just because you want company in misery. You also don't seem to realize that HIV transmission has nothing to do with the 'type' of person someone is with. The girl next door is just as likely to infect if she happened to be infected and safer sex practices were not practiced. That's why protection for activities that are a REAL risk is necessary. I would strongly suggest before you continue to spread fear in the guise of advice you take a little time to learn how HIV is transmitted. Or maybe, just wrap yourself in a big ole bubble if you just can't accept what is and isn't a risk.
Risks for transmission are: unprotected anal or vagainal sex. Higher risk for the receptive partner. These are high risks with anal being higher. Even with this the odds of not being infected are much greater than being infected.

Oral sex: Giving. There is a very low risk. There have been only a handful of confirmed cases in over 20 years.
Receiving: There have been NO confirmed cases in over 20 years. One of the reasons for the above is that studies have shown that Saliva kills the virus. Also the environment is not an enclosed environment and air can be introduced to the virus.

Blood to blood as in transfusions: Expectionally rare or IV Drug use. The highest risk of all.

Mother to child transmission. Mostly through nursing. Again, if you've ever had a baby latch on you know that's can be pretty airtight.

If what your are concerned about is not included in the above then you have had no risk.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
      #84667 - 02/01/04 10:34 PM

Fingering is not considered a risk for tranmission of HIV. It is not something that testing is even recommended for. One of the key variables that must occur for transmission is for the virus to stay within it's enviroment. Studies have shown HIV begins to lose it's ability to infect seconds after exposure to air, and dies within minutes.

If what you are concerned about is not included in the above then you have had no risk.

To Anon. It's obvious you have some issues over how HIV is transmitted. My guess is that you've had a non-risk and refuse to believe that. There is no need to try to scare people with misinformation just because you want company in misery. You also don't seem to realize that HIV transmission has nothing to do with the 'type' of person someone is with. The girl next door is just as likely to infect if she happened to be infected and safer sex practices were not practiced. That's why protection for activities that are a REAL risk is necessary. I would strongly suggest before you continue to spread fear in the guise of advice you take a little time to learn how HIV is transmitted. Or maybe, just wrap yourself in a big ole bubble if you just can't accept what is and isn't a risk.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9999

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3