Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

ABOUT PRECUM
      #8400 - 08/15/00 05:22 PM

Guys, there seems to be a person here who has spread information that precum has a "much much much" higher concentration of HIV than regular semen. I just think it's important to say that there is no reputable source to back that claim and either a) this person is a prankster having a joke at your expense, or b) this person has believed information that has not been scientifically verified. Not that pre-cum is not a risk, or that people should start practicing the withdrawal method as safe sex. I'm just saying that just because you read something on the web, does not mean it's true, and using hyperbolic prose like "MUCH MUCH MUCH" in capital letters seems much closer to scare tactics than actual scientific truth.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
essy
Unregistered

Re: ABOUT PRECUM new
      #8401 - 08/15/00 05:53 PM

Thanks for that post. I got myself into a one-time situation with a guy where we had unprotected (stupid) sex but there was no ejaculation. My results cocme back on Friday.
I must admit, reading that post a while back scared me, as although I know there was still a risk, I had not seen any prior evidence to indicate that pre-seminal fluid has a 'MUCH MUCH MUCH' higher HIV potency. If they were trying to scare people like me with false info then that is a very sad thing to do. On the other hand, they may have been misinformed for some reason.
I too have never read anything that would suggest that pre-ejaculate contains higher concentrations. Regardless of the relative HIV concetrations in either, the fact is that one is exposed to a much greater volume of semen, which would suggest that the risk is lower. However, that is not for me to say.
Thanks for the input.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: ABOUT PRECUM new
      #8409 - 08/15/00 08:30 PM

Actually I was the one who posted that info about pre-cum. I can give you the number of the clinic in which I was tested and you can talk to one of the counselors. I was told that by three different ones. I don't know who they get their info from, but all of them claim this. I'd hate to think that public health counselors who get several hours of training every year would lie to the public.

Anonymous
Unregistered

THE NUMBER new
      #8411 - 08/15/00 08:39 PM

512-473-2273

essy
Unregistered

Re: THE NUMBER new
      #8412 - 08/15/00 08:44 PM

Hey, thanks. No offence intended there. It's just that I am super-sensitive to the pre-cum issue! I was told by a counsellor at the UK AIDS helpline that nobody knows the relative concentrations in cum and pre-cum, only that you are liekly to be more exposed to the virus because of the greater volume of semen. Maybe at the place you have talked about they have conducted a controlled scientific study, I don't know. Thanks for the info anyway.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#8439 - 08/16/00 04:36 AM

I noticed this is a number in Austin, Tx.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#8452 - 08/16/00 09:55 AM

look, there's a forum on the body on viral loads, and one of the posts says that no studies have been done on pre-cum, and that semen has a lower concentration of HIV than blood. not to give a sense of security: they are, of course, all risky. besides, there are many different doctors you can speak to who will tell you different things: some will say that HIV is harmless (Duesberg), others will say kissing is a significant risk based on pure speculation (Cary Savitch) -- others, like Joel Gallant, will state that kissing and hand-jobs are virtually risk free. so i'd really need to see a documented, scientifically reputable study before i go around telling people that pre cum is "MUCH MUCH MUCH" more risky. that kind of inflated prose is not what I'd call scientific or particularly helpful.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3963

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3