Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
BigMistake
Fanatic

Reged: 08/14/00
(Psychosomatic) symptoms
      #8399 - 08/15/00 05:09 PM

Hi you all.

You guys are doing a tremendous thing by encouraging people who had exposures and are now scared/depressed/freaked out. I read all the stories and responses since the 1st of August (date of my incident).

But it is just amazing how we humans are. We just keep on letting doubt kreep into our minds. "What if this... " and "What if that..." And then we create ARS symptoms with our minds and totally flip out. I've gone through all this, in circles. Positiveness comes and goes, it's like I'm thinking the same thoughts in a huge cycle, over and over again. At the moment I'm at a low again and have a few questions regarding symptoms and a few other things:

(i) How strong can the symptoms be that a human induce in himself? Can it feel absolutely, really, like (what we think) ARS must feel like?

(ii) The ARS symptoms knock you out, I've read here. But some HIV positive people get no symptoms at all (something like 20%, right?). So is there a continuous spectrum, with strong symptoms on one side, no symptoms on the other and weaker symptoms in the middle? The reason I ask this is that I have a very slight feeling in some of my lymph nodes. (I do poke them very often to feel them, though. I've read your post on symptoms on 7/8, GaryNPA, but still, The mind is a pretty funny thing. I also read that you said that if people try to encourage someone and he doesn't respond positively, it's depressing in itself. I agree, but I REALLY need some encouragement now.) I've been working out like a beast since I returned from holiday (before which I had a 30day lay-off period; time of no excercise) and my body pains all over. I had to convince myself I contracted nothing and working out seemed like a good pro-life activity. Can this plus the messed-up mind also contribute to pseudo-symptoms?

(iii) Also, I haven't been that honest after all. The prostitute let me sniff coke through a rolled up banknote, about half a minute after she sniffed some from the same note. Is this a high risk incident? Does nasal fluids contain high amounts of virus? It was my first sniff of that stuff and I will never do it again - I associate it with the guilt and pain and suffering of that incident. Can the coke make one fatigued up to 2 weeks after a single sniff? And create other ARS symptoms?

(iv) Are swollen lymph nodes also a symptom of herpes?

Anyway, I asked a lot of questions and I hope some of you have some answers. I'm really depressed at the moment. Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but I learned all I know in 2 weeks, in great speed and with tremendous anxienty.

R

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Snoop
Unregistered

Re: (Psychosomatic) symptoms new
      #8402 - 08/15/00 06:12 PM

Sniffing coke would not transmit HIV. But Hepatitis C can be transmitted by intranasel cocain usage. You might want to get tested for Hep C at some point.

essy
Unregistered

Encouragement new
      #8405 - 08/15/00 07:16 PM

Dear BM

First of all, I read your initial post, and as our resident statistican (JAM) would tell you, your chances of contracting anything from this encounter were very very very minimal. You were not exposed to her vaginal fluids or her blood, and only her saliva during oral sex. As JAM said, this is just the same as kissing so you have nothing at all to be worried about.

To my knowledge, a one-time sniff of cocaine wouldn't be likely to be the cause of tiredness and fatigue. Sometimes, transient depression is associated with cocaine use, but that's generally only observed after more prolonged usage. But just look at the work-outs you've put yourself through! I am not surpised in the slightest to hear that you are left feeling fatigued, with pains. Especially since you had a month away from exercise.
Personally speaking, I know when I used to train alot (7 days a week sometimes) this left me feeling just the same, the immune system is put under more pressure and you are more susceptible to minor ailments.

So my advice is cut your work-outs down, let yourself re-energise and try to relax. The guilt thing all adds to stressing your body and mind as well. It is only natural you are feeling this way, but try not to make the mistake so many people do, of matching and convincing themselves that the symptoms they are having are related to ARS. Especially when there is clearly no chance that they could be.

Take care, and write any time you like. I'm usually not too far away (well in internet terms)

Essy

GaryNPA
Guru

Reged: 08/01/00
Re: (Psychosomatic) symptoms new
      #8422 - 08/15/00 10:14 PM

Hi Big-
I encourage you to look at my recent post "oh happy day...." from today.

Also, go back quite a number of pages and find the one labeled "anxiety can cause symptoms - trust me". This should help.

Herpes is a vicious beasty of a virus (how 'bout that Brit dialect there essy?). It can cause your lymph nodes to swell. If you got the cold-sore variety, your neck glands would swell. If you got the genital variety (and you'd know because you would get chicken-pox rash on your "pride and joy" then the ones in your groin (where leg meats the body) would swell and hurt.

I hope you feel better after reading the old post and if I can be of any support to you, feel free to ask.
Gary

BigMistake
Fanatic

Re: (Psychosomatic) symptoms: herpes new
      #8440 - 08/16/00 04:46 AM

Thanks for the reply Gary. Once again congrats on your negative status!

What do you mean by the cold sore variety of herpes? I don't seem to get a lot of info in the net. Only that there are 2 sisters, HSV-1 and HSV-2, of which the latter manifests itself predominantly in the genital area (mine looks and feels 100% healthy). The only lymphs that hurt (and only very little) are the ones under my jaw.

I don't consider testing anything at all because of my low risk exposure (especially after reading about your good news). Perhaps the slightly sensitive nodes are from the workouts.

BM

BigMistake
Fanatic

Re: Encouragement new
      #8441 - 08/16/00 04:57 AM

Dear Essy

Thank you for your encouragement. It is really a great help to see that people care for each other so much. Are your results backs yet?

Apart from the slightly sensitive nodes and mild digestive trouble, I have no symptoms at all. Can stress cause these things?

Regards
BM

essy
Unregistered

Re: Encouragement new
      #8446 - 08/16/00 08:08 AM

Hi BM

If you are stressed out then one of the biggest tell-tale signs of that is unusual bowel movements. Think of when we gets nervous for an exam or interview, or really upset about something - it's usually straight to the tiolet for me.
Now if you've been putting stress on your body by unusually big work outs, that also stresses the body's immune system, now I'm no doctor but I know from experience that this may cause swollen nodes, the one I get is usually under my right armpit, or my neck. And prodding them does make them worse!!!
Try not to worry, you ARE going to be fine.

I get my results Friday at 11.45pm GMT

Fingers crossed!

Talk to you soon

Essy

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4259

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3