Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Parrothead
Fanatic

Reged: 01/27/04
Loc: Atlantic Beach, FL
Scared for good reason...
      #82799 - 01/28/04 02:13 PM

I am a 20 year old woman and I am concerned about a sexual experience that happened back in mid September 2003. I had intercourse with a bi sexual man. It was unprotected briefly but then I made him put on a condom. He never ejaculated and normally I wouldn't be too worried except for the fact that this guy is in the Navy and he was tested in late Dec. Apparently he is tested every 3 months by the military. He tested positive, however he claims to know when he contracted the virus and that it was after our encounter. He says that he contracted it in Nov from a man at the gay club where he worked. Supposedly the man had been hit in the head with a beer bottle and John applied pressure to the wound to stop the bleeding. The man told John he was HIV positive and he should get tested but he didn't until the Navy ordered it. Does it sound as if this story could possibly be true? I was tested on the 16th of January just to be safe, however I don't get my results back until the 6th of Feb. Any opinions? Thanks,
Amanda

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
FactMan
Unregistered

Re: Scared for good reason... new
      #82800 - 01/28/04 02:21 PM

Look..for one thing, I would not believe him how he got it..he has it thats all that matters. I think your chances are slim, if he did not cum in you that you have it. If he released a bit of pre-cum, thats an exposure, but far better for you then if he has cum completely in you.

In the future insist that any sex you have be wrapped!

I really think you are fine.....seriously.

rjasin123
Guardian

#82801 - 01/28/04 03:04 PM

His story sounds suspect at best.

So, let's focus on you.

1. HIV is a difficult virus to transmit.

2. This was a brief one time encounter which lowers your risk.

3. He did not ejaculate which lowers your risk.

Based on this, I would have to say the odds are way in your favor of being negative.

You are past the prescribed window period so I suggestiing testing to put this behind you.

As someone else has advised, please where a condom from hence forth until such time you are in a secure manogamous relationship where both you and your partner have reliably tested negative.

Cheers

Jazz

Parrothead
Fanatic

Loc: Atlantic Beach, FL
      #83387 - 01/29/04 12:15 PM

I have tested and am awaiting the results. .... Believe me, I have learned my lesson. You can't be too careful with all the diseases around that have no symptoms... People don't even know they have something. That's the scariest thing to me... I'm sure some people know they have it and don't care if they give it to you, but i think that most people who transmit this disease have no idea themselves that they even have it...

sweetpea9919
Master

Reged: 10/22/03
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
      #83388 - 01/29/04 12:56 PM

You bring up an excellent point. There seem to be specific behaviors with people who are HIV positive.

A) They have it and don't care who they pass it to, and don't always use protection or inform their partners.

B) They have and don't know they have it, and therefore don't always use protection, thinking they are 'safe.'

(I don't know which is scarier...)

and C) They have it, are always careful, and always inform their partners.

I don't know about you, but I think the people in category C (like me) are in the minority. In a way, I'm kind of glad I already have it, so I don't have to worry about getting it.

--------------------
Erika
Married; 31 years old
HIV+ 10 years... and counting

sweetpea9919
Master

Reged: 10/22/03
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
FYI on military... new
      #83641 - 01/29/04 08:03 PM

Hi everybody. Parrot's post alarmed me, as it sounded like my own story. A big part of my being promiscuous when I was 19 and 20 was because I was only sleeping with Marines. I was told their were "tested for everything" on a "regular basis". As it turned out, I caught chlamydia from one marine, and then HIV from another 6 months later.

Yes, I know it was my own fault for not using condoms. I don't blame them. I just think our country has a certain idea about our military men (and women). They are strong, in excellent shape, and look perfectly healthy. Because of this, we sometimes assume they are in perfect health. The truth is, while some military personnel are tested for certain diseases, not all of them are. (They are usually only tested right before they are deployed overseas.)

Just an FYI. Again, I am not pointing any fingers, or trying to assign blame. I just want to inform people of my experiences. Take care, all.

--------------------
Erika
Married; 31 years old
HIV+ 10 years... and counting

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2355

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3