Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jackie Blue / False Negatives
      #78222 - 11/14/03 06:18 PM

I tested negative recently with a Home Access testing kit. My possible exposure was contact with vaginal fluid and a minute cut on penis. No penetration at any time. I was wondering about false negatives. I thought I recalled in Statistics that the possibility of false negative was non existent. Is that true? Thanks for any opinion.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
heretohelp
Unregistered

Re: Jackie Blue / False Negatives new
      #78223 - 11/14/03 08:54 PM

There is such a thing as a false negative in the window period i.e. within 3 months of exposure - there is no such thing as a falsh negative at the 3 month or beyond mark i.e. the CDC say a negative test at 3 months is definitive and so do the Dr's on this site.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
      #78253 - 11/15/03 07:13 AM

Believe your test results. Based on your type of 'exposure' there isn't any reason not to believe that it is correct. You never had a risk. What you did is not considered by medical or scientific experts to be a way transmission occurs so it's not surprising that you tested negative. There was no reason to worry or test in the first place.

LoveIsNotAWord
Grand Master

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: We are in West Texas
      #78344 - 11/16/03 07:11 PM

Dear Anon,

The possibility of FALSE negative exists statistically speaking unless there is 100% finite mathematical accuracy in the test, variables of condition, and perfection of the test and other secondary variables including temperature, time of exposure the list goes on and on.

Your risk low due to your actual exposure. The highest risk will be vaginal/anal penetration, and IV access with a shared needle especially on the west coast where IV drug abusers tend to withdraw "back" into the syringe returning blood products on the east coast that was never the way to "shoot up."

I have done alot of research am a professional nurse, masters prepared and married recently (August) to a HIV+ man who I love unconditionally. Hope this helps some.

Karen :)

--------------------
Karen G....
"Live with it!"

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1197

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3