Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
WorriedLad

Reged: 10/28/03
Deliberate Needle prick
      #77111 - 10/28/03 08:46 AM

Hi sorry to bother anyone here but im really looking for a bit of advice. Ive been living with an issue now for 3 years regarding something which happened to me whilst i was holidaying in Ibiza. I was stuck in the arm by someone with what i can only assume was a needle whilst in a club, the mark was there so i know it was genuine. Of course it ruined my holiday and set me on a paranoid which i still have not gotten over with now despite haveing 2 hiv tests when i got back to the UK. I had my first test immediatly on arriving back home which was negative and again another one just under 3 months, i think it was 80 days or something like that)this was also clear. But in the last year or so i have developed a barking cough, which sounds harsh and grating. It isnt a compulsory cough i dont have to do it but i CAN do it if you see what i mean, also my cheeks appear to be hollowing out. Ive always been slim but it appears to be me to be more so these days even though my weight remains constant. I guess what id liek to really know is how likley is it that i could have contracted Hiv from that needle prick in the club? i wasnt even sure if it was genuine, could just have been someone fooling arounf trying to worry me. I suppose its possible i could also be kind of inventing these symptoms due to worry and anxiety. I also know youll say get another test but to be honest ive been scared stiff of doing this ever since i found out it cud possible be undetected upto 6 months. If i am hiv positive, how on earth can a single lad liek me ever find happiness with anyone?? Surely there aernt many people out there barring similar infected people who would welcome close contact with an infected person :( Any advice anyone cud give me would be greatly appreciated. :) many thanks for listening

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Switch625
Guru

Reged: 08/07/03
Re: Deliberate Needle prick new
      #77112 - 10/28/03 09:04 AM

HIV is detected in your system by three months, not six. That is old information, the tests used today are very sensitive and a three month negative is considered conclusive. So you tested negative at 80 days. It's highly doubtful that you would seroconvert in that last week, so you shouldn't be worrying this much. But since you are, why just not get one last test to prove to yourself that you are okay?

Your chances are about 1 in 300 of being infected with HIV with a needlestick.

--------------------
Life is meant for living, not fearing.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
      #77248 - 10/29/03 04:51 AM

I won't tell you to test again. You have tested negative at a conclusive time (3 months). People no longer have to wait 6 months for the window. Most people seroconvert by 6 weeks and the test will show positive. A negative at 3 months means you don't have HIV. Look for other causes.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#141140 - 04/29/05 06:21 PM

Hi One quick point. If the chances of something happening are 1 in a million, and it happens to you, YOUR chances are 100%. get it? don't listen to these dorks using lingo like seroconvert, which only means being detectable in the blood. You should get tested every six months just to be sure. Beisdes, passing an HIV test is the greatest feeling in the world. Especially if you are noticing changes in you body, get a test.

debtex
Legend

Reged: 03/21/05
      #141394 - 05/01/05 01:20 PM

First of all......that early in infection body changes are only caused by the MEDICATION. And SEROCONVERSION yes, is when it shows up in your blood, so that would mean to go from a negative test, to a positive test....so SEROCONVERSION is very important. And what do you mean,,,be tested "every six months"?? You must be insane, why would you advise someone to continuously scare themselves like that. You shouldn't be giving advise on this, when you obviously don't know what the heck you are talking about. There is only ONE dork in this post, and its the one trying to give advise on something he knows nothing about. !!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6156

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3