Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Worried 2000
Unregistered

Negative! 5 1/2 months
      #7679 - 07/26/00 08:07 PM

I tested negative today for HIV-1 and also for hepatitis C. This was 5 months, 2 weeks after the exposure. I think I'm finally done.

My only concern is about HIV-2. Is this a legit concern? Any one have any thoughts?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Negative! 5 1/2 months new
      #7688 - 07/27/00 04:37 AM

What was your exposure? HIV-2 is more common in Africa and there are cases in New York. But you never know if it spread to other states. I too have tested negative at 5 1/2 months and I worried about HIV-2. If you're really worried, you can get the HIV 1/2 test. From what I've heard, I think HIV-2 can be detected with the HIV-1 test about half the time. Am I correct, anyone?

BDG
Unregistered

Re: Negative! 5 1/2 months new
      #7695 - 07/27/00 11:31 AM

I personally don't think that you need to worry about HIV-2. If it was very common, it would be the standard to test for it EVERYWHERE. That's not the case, as in many parts of North America only an HIV-1 test is recommended. So it's not really a concern here.

As for how often a HIV-1 test will pick up HIV-2, I once posted here that it was around 30% of the time. I think I got it backwards though. It seems like it will pick up HIV-2 infection about 70% of the time. That's in a post on the Safe Sex forum on this website.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 999

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3