Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Information Overload
      #76508 - 10/23/03 09:27 PM

On this site under the "HIV Q&A" it says "it is generally believed that it takes the average person five to seven years to experience their first mild symptoms." It seems like the majority of folks here that have "symptoms" after a few months must be imagining them??? Yes?? I, for one, have been devastated by the thought I may be wasting in less than 6 months after possible exposure. If I actually have symptoms and they aren't actually wasting...what are they? I am scared to test but also scared of why I am losing body mass in the legs and arms.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie_Blue
Veteran

Reged: 10/26/00
Re: Information Overload new
      #76624 - 10/24/03 05:43 AM

Gee, do you think you might be under some stress.

Here you are worried you might be infected, yet scared to death to test, and then you wonder why you have symptoms?

It's true, after ARS people that are infected go into a long term asymptomatic stage that can last for years.

When someone complains of symptoms that don't match the time frame of initial infection or someone complains about what is really an AIDS defining symptom, it's a safe bet, they are suffering from something other than HIV.

As far as not testing....Is the anxiety and the accompaning health problems caused by the stress of not knowing for sure worth not testing???

Anonymous
Unregistered

#76626 - 10/24/03 06:46 AM

Ya - Understand what you are saying. I guess that is the crux of it all. It seems like alot of us our pouring over the information on these boards and for me, I read lots of stuff that makes me feel alot better and then I run across something else that implies I could be in trouble. For instance...swollen lymph glands...I haven't had. I was figuring they couldn't be swollen because when I touch them they don't hurt. Then I read last night that with HIV they usually swell and don't hurt...see the dilemna? Now I am wondering if they are swollen and I just don't know it...

Anonymous
Unregistered

#76787 - 10/25/03 02:49 PM

It is impossible to diagnose HIV without testing. You can have all of the symptoms of ARS including those that fit advanced HIV disease without actually having HIV. Stress and worry triggered by symptoms from any one of a gazillion other bugs out there can cause all sorts of problems. It is hard to believe while you are experiencing it but it is true. Good Luck.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 887

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3