Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Edugar67

Reged: 10/23/03
Braces & HIV
      #76402 - 10/23/03 07:24 AM

Hello there!
Thank you for taking time to answer my post. I'll try to be brief at explaining my situation:
The Before:
1) I recently had braces put on my teeth.
2) I attempted to have some sex with a male friend.
3) I gave him oral sex for a minute or less since it was too uncomfortable for me.
4) In that short period of time, there was absolutely no semen, but there might have been some little pre-cum.
5) There was also some French kissing involved.
6) That night there was no penetration at all. Only individual masturbation at the end with no contact with semen.
The After:
1) Right after sex, I went to the bathroom and I noticed I had a minor cut inside my lower lip. The cut did not seem to be recent. It seemed to be healed and closed since it did not hurt or bleed at contact with a Q-tip. It was still of a whitish color, though. It was gone in 2 days.
2) I talked to my friend about it. He said I should not worry since we had not had any high-risk sex activity. Besides, he said he was HIV negative.
3) One month after that incident, I was surprised by getting a sudden cold with heavy nasal congestion, pain behind my eyes, and headache, minor fever and almost no sore throat. I spent only one day in bed. The day after, I only had the nasal discomfort, but no fever, and no more symptoms.
4) I also have the crazy fear of having contracted HIV from that quick uncomfortable oral sex session.
The questions:
Assuming my friend was HIV positive (which he denied)...
1) Was my situation a high-risk or a low-risk one?
2) Could that sudden cold & minor symptoms be ARS?
3) Should I take the HIV test 3 or 6 months from possible infection to make sure I am 100% OK?
All I can tell you is that I don't want to know from any sex while I have these braces in my mouth. That first attempt was a failure, and -look at me now- I am HIV terrified! Some friends tell me you can still have sex with braces in your mouth, but I think it is absolutely not a risk-free activity.
Thank you for your quick and most valuable response,
Eddie.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Switch625
Guru

Reged: 08/07/03
Re: Braces & HIV new
      #76403 - 10/23/03 08:20 AM

1.) Your situation is very low risk, practically non-existent
2.) No, ARS would not be gone in a day. The symptoms last up to two weeks.
3.) Only you can decide to test or not at three months. Six month testing is not needed. If you think it will make you feel better, than go for it. You are really in a very low risk category.

What makes you think your friend even has HIV?

--------------------
Life is meant for living, not fearing.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
      #76622 - 10/24/03 05:26 AM

Nothing you did was high risk.

A cold is not ARS.

If you really feel you need to take a test, then test at 3 months and be done with this whole thing.

Edugar67

#76660 - 10/24/03 07:19 PM

Hi Switch625, and thank you very much for your response. To answer your question about what makes me think my friend even has HIV, it all comes to the fact that I don't know much of every single move he makes sexually speaking. I don't know the risks he takes or not. So, when it comes to occasional sex with someone who is not your everyday partner, the best thing to do for your protection is to consider him/her an HIV+ person. That way you take the safety precautions to avoid any possible exposure. I acted that way with him the other day, but I happened to end up going through this nightmare involving my braces and that crazy minor cut. Also, I admit I'm a little paranoid with this HIV/AIDS issue. It is something I can't completely ignore, but I do my very best to be always cautious and safe when I engage in sex.
Thank you once again for your helpful response.
Edugar67.

Edugar67

#76668 - 10/24/03 07:25 PM

Thank you very much for your response Jackie_Blue. I truly appreciate it. I was concerned at something I read once about a low percentage of people not showing complete signs of ARS but some minor, undetected symptoms instead. I thought I could be in that group of people experiencing minor cold symptoms or almost nothing at all.
Thanks for your valuable time at responding the cases in this post.
Edugar67.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1693

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3