Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
TheVOICE
Unregistered

Will fear ever end???/testing at 4 months
      #7627 - 07/25/00 09:37 PM

I've tried my best to shake loose of the HIV worry since testing negative on a PCR and an ELISA at 3 months. Staying away from this board and taking a two week vacation far away from the Internet was part of my strategy. But I have to admit, HIV remains a CONSTANT concern affecting everything I say, do, and feel each day.

I have been a MAJOR advocate of the 3 month "conclusive" position in the 3/6 window debate, yet I can't seem to apply my belief to my own situation. The list of "yeah, but what ifs" goes on and on. While on my vacation (in Omaha of all places!), I went for a 16 week antibody test- it came back negative. But somehow I'm still focused on this issue. I had a high risk exposure as a result of which I contracted chlamydia...minor "symptoms" seem to continue months later, so HIV keeps its perch right on my shoulder.

So why do I ramble. I guess I want to know if ANYONE OUT THERE has EVER heard about ANYONE testing negative on modern ELISAs at 4 months but later testing positive???? How about ANYONE testing negative on a PCR at 3 months and later testing positive. I know all about the "13 month man" who wrote to Holodniy (like all of you I have read just about EVERYTHING on the whole damn internet!)...but any first hand knowledge of "late(post 3 months) seroconversion?"

Whatever your faith tradition, you all remain in my prayers. Peace.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BDG
Unregistered

Re: Will fear ever end???/testing at 4 months new
      #7638 - 07/25/00 11:30 PM

You shouldn't be worried VOICE. There's been a lot of talk here lately about different generations of ELISA tests having different rates of accuracy at the 12 week mark. That's pretty disturbing, but it shouldn't be for you! See, you've also had a negative PCR test. The combination of that test with a negative 12 week ELISA (no matter what the generation is) pretty much means that you aren't infected. I've read (and I know you have too) posts by many doctors who would agree too.

If you look for it, of course you're going to find people who tested positive past the window period. But let's say you find one or two. It doesn't really say much, because you (or anyone else on this board) don't have the resources necessary to crunch the numbers to see if it is a significant amount of people. That's already been done though, and it's been shown that the number of people who fit into this category is really small. Take this and your negative PCR results into consideration and you'll see that you have probably already proven that you're not infected!

Worried 2000
Unregistered

#7641 - 07/25/00 11:58 PM

Hi Voice - - -

I am in roughly the same boat as you. I had that DNA PCR test at 31 days and an RNA PCR at 33 days, both negative. I have continued testing with Elisas. Today, I took a 23-week (5 1/2 months) test and that was negative. I also paid $87 and got a Hepatitis C test, just in case. That, too, was negative. Now I'm thinking whether I should get tested for HIV-2. I doubt it. I'm gonna have to learn to put this behind me. All I can say is you are at 16 weeks, which is almost 4 months. Just try to carry on, and if you need to keep retesting, then do it! There's no shame in that.

I'm sure you will be fine, though. Rare indeed to seroconvert past 3 months.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#7760 - 07/28/00 11:15 PM

Man, if you could afford the PCR and got it plus a 12 week negative ELISA (latest generation) YOU ARE NEGATIVE BABY!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1311

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3