Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

headache and pain in the groin-ARS?
      #76049 - 10/21/03 10:16 AM

I have a headache and pain in the groin after having unprotected vaginal sex (insertive). This episode was about 5 weeks ago. I have also had a dry mouth in the morning for atleast a week. Also a sore throat for about 2 weeks. Anyone's opinion if this is related to ARS.

This is causing ALOT ot stress in my life. This is the only time I have had unprotected sex in my life.

Jackie, Switch, can anyone help.

I tested negative at 14 days and am going to do it again this week (6 weeks). I know 3 months is the time to wait but this is something I needs to do for myself to hopefully calm the nerves a bit.

Any input is appreciated.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Switch625
Guru

Reged: 08/07/03
Re: headache and pain in the groin-ARS? new
      #76054 - 10/21/03 02:56 PM

No, the symptoms you are experiencing have nothing to do with HIV. Seroconversion sickness, if you're in the 80% group of people that experience it, would feel like you had the flu. Headache is one, but there are more. All of your glands would be swollen, your joints would ache, you would be exhausted, etc. The symptoms start 2-4 weeks after your exposure and last two weeks.

Unprotected vaginal sex is a risk, but for the receptive partner the risk is 0.1%-0.2% per episode, with ejaculation. The risk is lower for the insertive partner. A negative result at 6 weeks will be encouraging, but not definitive.

Please don't hesitate to post any additional questions or concerns or to send me a private message. You shouldn't have to face this alone. I will help you get through this if you need me to.

--------------------
Life is meant for living, not fearing.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#76056 - 10/21/03 03:40 PM

Thanks for the information Switch

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
      #76189 - 10/22/03 05:15 AM

ARS symptoms do not hang around for weeks. ARS typically occurs between 2-4 weeks, hitting a person something like a freight train, and then resolving in about a week.

The odds of transmission from a one time unprotected encounter with a known HIV+ woman is about 1 in 500. This virus is much easier for a man to pass to a woman, then the other way around. Could be because the only way for transmission for a man is through the urthea opposed to the entire vaginal tract of a woman. HIV doesn't pass through skin. It passes through mucous membranes.

By 6 weeks most people that are positive will have seroconverted and will test positive on an ELISA. So a 6 week negative should calm you down until a final 3 month test. Please do yourself a favor and don't test anymore than that. Becoming a testing addict isn't going to help your stress.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4827

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3