Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Very Nervous About Test....
      #7573 - 07/24/00 08:09 PM

After reading the posts of the last month, I have become very nervous about a test result that I received. I had my testing done through Specialized Testing in St. Louis, MO. My last possible HIV exposure was April 1999, and the test through Specialized Testing was done in March of 2000. The test result was reported to me as negative.

Two things have made me nervous: they did send me a copy of the blood result, but at the very top it said HIV-1/WB. Does this mean a Western Blot was done? They claim not, as the HIV-1 was negative. After reading all of the posts, now I'm really nervous as to the reliability of this company. They sent me to LabCorp, which is a reliable lab, I believe.

Secondly, what is an HIV-2 test? I'm wondering if i shouldn't have had that done as well....

Please, someone help me out with this. I've been up nights since reading these recent posts.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BDG
Unregistered

Re: Very Nervous About Test.... new
      #7601 - 07/25/00 12:47 PM

C'mon, you have no reason to be worried! You are definitely HIV negative.

Let me explain. Although I've never dealt with any of the labs that are being mentioned lately, I've been reading the posts that are going back and forth.

What people are complaining about is that the company allegedly tells people that their HIV-1 test is a newer generation test when in reality it is a first generation test. That's all. No one is saying that they ae performing these tests unreliably!

So, in your case, since you tested about 11 months after the incident, it should make no difference to you! Any generation of ELISA test would be accurate at that point! So you're OK!

Also, you shouldn't really be worried about HIV-2 unless you had sex with someone who is from Western Africa. This particular disease hasn't really made it over to the mainstream population in North America, and there are only a handful of cases over here. I wouldn't be worried about it!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1449

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3