Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Irriatated at tip of penis
      #75595 - 10/17/03 10:41 AM

I am a male who had unprotectd vaginal sex with a girl of unknown status. Within the week thereafter I started to have a sensitive sensation at the tip of my penis. Almost like an irritation. I was tested for all STDs and everything came back negative. However, when I had my culture performed my symptoms changed a bit. Instead of being sensitive it started to feel warm at times, it felt like I had a discharge at times and at other times it felt fine.

I went to the doctor who checked my prostrate. He said it was inflamed and recommended taking some Advil and soaking in warm water for 10 days. I'm just now starting to do this. I didn't ask him if it could be HIV but I did test at 31 days and that was negative. I know I have to wait for 13 weeks for it to be more definite.

In the meantime, the girl I had the encounter with is testing for HIV. It has taken her awhile to get into test so I have been pretty nervous for awhile. The very back of my tongue has white growth on it. I haven't felt any sickness at all. Just the white growth, sensitive penis and maybe some achy knees.

Would your penis become sensitive from an HIV exposure within a matter of days? I am hoping the growth is just poor oral hygeine. I had never noticed it until last week. I do brush but I've been moving alot so I haven't been to a dentist in at least 2 years. I don't floss. I do use mouthwash several times a week, I hear this can kill some beneficial bacteria that helps keep down candidiasis.

This has me very worked up and has been a life changing experience. I pray, it will just be a lesson learned with no consequences other than maybe knocking a year off of my life because I have stressed so much. This has definitely brought me back into a strong relationship with God.

Can anyone offer their opinion?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Switch625
Guru

Reged: 08/07/03
Re: Irriatated at tip of penis new
      #75598 - 10/17/03 12:41 PM

The first thing you need to do is try and stay calm. Freaking out like this will only make it worse for you. The second thing you need to do is remember that you are human. We all make mistakes and you shouldn't be so hard on yourself.

Now, onto your symptoms. No, nothing you listed is suggestive of HIV. And you shouldn't be basing your status on symptoms alone, doctors don't even do that. And even if you did have oral thrush, it really couldn't be associated with HIV because it wouldn't appear this quickly. Since you did have unprotected sex, there is a risk if she has HIV to begin with. Wait and see what her results are. If they are negative, you really have nothing to worry about. But if you're still concerned, you could always test at three months.

Just know that you're not alone in this. I'm here if you need to talk and so is everyone else. You will get through this, just take it one day at a time.

Take care.

--------------------
Life is meant for living, not fearing.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#75599 - 10/17/03 12:54 PM

Thank you so much for your support it really means alot. Comforting words such as that really help.

She has been really good about this too but I don't think she understands the risks that we both have taken. I hope everything turns out fine and then maybe I can educate her a bit about making good decisions.

Its so strange because I don't sleep around. I'm nearly 26 and she is just my third. I was so ignorant about risks until I started to develop these symptoms.

Switch625
Guru

#75600 - 10/17/03 02:56 PM

I understand your fear, HIV is a very scary thing. Just try to hold off on freaking out until you get the results of her test. The risk is less for a man than it is for a woman during unprotected vaginal sex, but there is still a risk.

And again, your symptoms mean nothing.

--------------------

Anonymous
Unregistered

#75603 - 10/17/03 04:15 PM

The white stuff on your tongue probably is not HIV related. Stuff like that doesnt show up until you have been infected for some time. Everyone has some sort of coating on their tongue. Since you did have unprotective risk technically there is a risk. Take a test at the 60 day mark and again at 90 days. The chances of catching HIV from a 1 time exposure is very slim.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#75667 - 10/17/03 08:22 PM

How long does it take for thrush to appear after being infected? I've heard you're count (if that is how you refer to it) has to get to a lower level. But I've also heard that thrush is one of the first symptoms to appear. So I'm not quite sure.

My wait will be over Monday, that is when she gets her results back.

Thanks for your response and support.

Switch625
Guru

#75858 - 10/20/03 08:41 AM

Let us know how you make out. Our fingers are crossed for you!

--------------------

Anonymous
Unregistered

Everything is fine thanks! new
      #75882 - 10/20/03 04:54 PM

:) Everything appears to be fine! Thanks so much for thinking of me. She tested negative at just under 6 months. I think this is pretty conclusive. The reason I was so worried was I had been experiencing these symptoms and then I found out that she had unprotected intercourse with her last boyfriend who was from Africa. That was when I started to flip out. This has definitely been a life changing event and an education. I was so ignorant about HIV and AIDS and I think of myself as an informed and intelligent person. I would like to do whatever I can to help out with this cause. Do you have any suggestions of how I can give my time and/or money? Definitely thought about sending a donation to Dr. Bob.

Switch625
Guru

Re: Everything is fine thanks! new
      #76047 - 10/21/03 10:01 AM

3 months is conclusive, so yes, you are fine!

Congratulations!

Personally, I would donate to Dr. Bob's foundation. He's a great man and does really good work.

--------------------

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12675

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3