Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Back pain & ARS??
      #75502 - 10/16/03 05:56 PM

Is severe back pain a symptom of ARS? I know you cannot diagnose off of symptoms, but I have not seen anywhere where back pain is even listed as a symptom.

Thanks

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Switch625
Guru

Reged: 08/07/03
Re: Back pain & ARS?? new
      #75592 - 10/17/03 08:46 AM

That's because it's not a symptom. What kind of exposure did you have?

--------------------
Life is meant for living, not fearing.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#75594 - 10/17/03 10:38 AM

I had unprotected oral sex and the other guy started to cum in my mouth. He pulled out but only after he started cumming in my mouth.

Do most people experience symptoms 2-4 weeks after infection? Do they include fever, rash, swollen lymph node? I do not recall having any of these symptoms. I have been feeling fatigue and had severe back pain for about a week now.

Switch625
Guru

Reged: 08/07/03
      #75596 - 10/17/03 12:25 PM

Performing oral sex carries a very low risk of infection. When there is ejaculate involved, the risk increses somewhat, but it is still far less of a risk than unprotected anal or vaginal sex. Here is what one of the HIV experts on this site state about ARS.

"Acute HIV infection is the period of time when an HIV infected person is seroconverting; that is, they are mounting an immune response against HIV, developing antibodies that will signify that he or she is HIV antibody positive. At least 80% of people recently infected with HIV will experience symptoms related to acute HIV infection approximately 2-4 weeks after exposure. Symptoms can vary in each individual, the most common symptoms being fever, headache, fatigue, rash, lymphadenopathy, myalgia/arthralgia, sore throat, mouth ulcers, and in rare cases, people can develop opportunistic infections, such as PCP. Symptoms usually last up to two weeks, and possibly longer.

Trying to determine your HIV status based on symptoms you are experiencing is unwise, anxiety provoking, and unreliable. Recent HIV infection (acute HIV infection, acute retroviral syndrome) should only be considered if ALL of the following are true:

1) You had unprotected vaginal or anal sex (inserting or receiving a penis without a condom) within the past three months.

2) Your partner was known to be HIV infected, or is a person who is in a "high-risk" category (a man who has sex with men, an injection drug user, or a person who has sexual contact with others in an area of high HIV incidence or prevalence, like sub-Saharan Africa).

3) Your symptoms are indicative of acute HIV infection (febrile illness, sometimes compared to flu or mono). The specific symptoms can vary from person to person, but acute infection most often manifests in this "flu-like" manner.

If ALL of the above are true for you, see a doctor to have your symptoms evaluated. If ALL of the above are not true, you should still have your symptoms evaluated by a doctor, but it is not likely that they are related to HIV infection."

Think of it this way, the lower the amount of fluid in your mouth, the lower the risk. It is rare for someone to become infected if they only perform oral.

--------------------
Life is meant for living, not fearing.

kindness

Reged: 09/01/03
      #75602 - 10/17/03 03:47 PM

Sounds like a kidney infection or possibly kidney stones. I seriously doubt it is HIV. If we were in Vegas I would bet the bank on a negative result. High roller. But,I digress. I do think you need to visit a doctor because kidney infections could become serious. Good Luck!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#75665 - 10/17/03 08:14 PM

You haven't seen back pain listed as a symptom because it isn't a symptom. Simple as that.

Jackie

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3555

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3