Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Symptoms and late serconversion?
      #73274 - 09/29/03 02:25 PM

Hi,

I had an exposure a month after I took an immunosuppressant called Remicade for my crohn's disease (Fistula). Lots of kissing occured (deep-wet), this woman offered me a BJ, which I politely refused. Anyway that was a year ago.

About 2 weeks after this incident I started to have a lot of what I thought were symptoms of seroconversion. Read the sites - stressed out a lot - asked a lot of questions.

I took HIV-1 Elisa tests at a clinic here in Houston at 1.5, 3, 6, 12 months and all were negative.

The same day I took the 12 month I had another Remicade infusion. One week after the infusion - I had a lot of swollen nodes, swallowing, high fever, cold sores, headaches, small persistent cough.

I am really worried this woman might have been exposed to HIV 2 now and by the unlucky happenstance of me being on immunosuppresant, her kissing me so thoroughly - that I might be another unique case study of oral to oral transmission of a rare strain (this happened at a Houston nightclub)

What are the chances I have had a late seroconversion (maybe triggerd by remicade?) or do I naybe have HIV2 and it is not ben picked up?

I asked at the clinic and they said this was strictly an HIV1 test.

Thanks
Worried sick again

PS(was ok for a while - after 6 month neg result) now a wreck again with the appearance of the cold sores after a high fever broke!!!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Symptoms and late serconversion? new
      #73325 - 09/30/03 12:15 PM

You cannot catch HIV from kissing. No way, no how. You have tested way too many times right now. Unless you had unprotected sex with this woman or somehow exchanged blood with her (not usually done by kisisng) there is no HIV risk here. You are totally paranoid.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#73400 - 09/30/03 07:59 PM

This woman was a stripper, and from the "offer" she made me about the BJ, sidelining as an active sex worker. So I was a little concerned again that I might have hit the magic combination of being immunosuppressed, exchanging saliva with possible virus. I know I have been told that HIV cannot live in saliva very well.

It is the coincidence of symptoms - and they are very real - the cold sores, glands, throat, chills, fever, diarrhea (sp?), pimples are all physical manifestations. How many from stress I can't say. I would love to say it is all related to my crohn's, the remicade infusion going bad this time around and a slight infection from the crohn's.

It is the coincidence of symptoms looking like seroconversion or ARS(?) that restarted the worry machine.

I would really hate it if I did not seek out an HIV-2 test, only to find out later that I did have it and something could have been done if they caught it earlier.

Probably the thing that would put my mind at ease is getting a third gen test (for 1/2) and/or a PCR test all negative. Then I would leave this behind forever.

Short of that hearing from doctors that could tell me with confidence that the odds of contracting HIV 2 even from a sex worker here are astronomical, even for an immunosuppressed individual on Remicade would help greatly. The other item that would help is hearing that the Elisa tests I took for HIV 1 would not have been compromised in any way by the Remicade or my immmune system, and that serconversion after 1 year - that the odds for that are too astronomical to calculate. Yep that would help....

I apreciate your reply, it calmed me down some. PLease anyone else who wishes to write to either the unlucky lottery winner or a blathering paranoid idiot ww is welcome to add their input.

Thanks
BPIWW (I hope)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#73401 - 09/30/03 08:03 PM

Whoops!

Forgot to add, I have not gone near any other woman, so I know the risk since that time is zero.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1739

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3