Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Waiting for test
Unregistered

SORE THROAT
      #7230 - 07/15/00 09:54 PM

It is 9 weeks that i have had a sore throat.(it started a week after exposure)its kind of unusual i feel a scratchy feeling mostly on the right side of my throat near my tonsils, kind of like something is stuck in there. ( no other symptoms) i have been to three Ear,nose ,throat doctors, who could not see anything they took some cultures, all showed nothing. i recently endured an MRI prescribed by one of the doctors.(results are not back yet). i also recently went to get a full STD's blood work done i also told my doctor i wanted HEP ABC checked for. I have taken one Elisa HIV1/2 test so far at 7 weeks negative. (had i known about the windows period i would have waited as the result dont give much comfort.) Well now i just sit and wait till i can test at three months. I hope to find out what wrong with my throat soon, either an HIV symptom or maybe something worse like cancer what a choice? Just venting a bit. Welcome any input as to my case and on what todo to relax till test time about 3 weeks to hit the three month mark.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: SORE THROAT new
      #7232 - 07/15/00 10:05 PM

If it makes you feel better, I called the GMHC in ney york I got the number from state hotlines here at the body; They told me that most conversions took place between week 4-6 and most everybody gets ARS and that it is very debilitating.They also told me my risk (oral sex w/o ejac.) was very low but possible. For my mental health im sticking to this version.

Tim
Unregistered

#7240 - 07/16/00 09:40 PM

Do you drink...alcohol and other drugs can cause a sore throat and may indicate the start of liver disease. Check out Alcohol Liver Disease.

Worried Like U
Unregistered

#7241 - 07/16/00 10:39 PM

ARS usually would not last 8 weeks. It would be extremely unusual. Also, the most common symptom is fever, it would be very rare to have just a sore throat and not have other symptoms. This time of year, a lot of people get sore throats due to allegies. Also, stress can bring these syptoms and make them worse. Try not to worry. You cannot diagnose yourself thru you symptoms for hiv, and neither can anyone else. The best thing to do is get a risk assessment. It may be that you had a very low risk based on your exposure. Also, if you are at nine weeks now, wait 3 more and get the 3 month test for HIV. The test is the only way to know for sure that you are negative.

Anonymous
Unregistered

GMHC new
      #7242 - 07/16/00 11:33 PM

So, the GMHC thinks a 3 months negative test is always conclusive? Do they have a web page with info about why they believe 3 months is conclusive? What do they think about people who have seroconverted later than the 3 months window period?

aanxious
Unregistered

Re: GMHC new
      #7249 - 07/17/00 01:49 AM

i think 3 months is conclusive depending on the place you take your test. i think the old stats of 6 months is conclusive are going down the drain because the tests have evolved. this depends on where you take the test though... different places say different things. however, i am GARUNTEED in ontario that 3 months is CONCLUSIVE.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4264

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3