Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not_Scared.. re: Hiv1/2..
      #7131 - 07/13/00 09:46 AM

Not scared,
I was just starting to feel good about my 5mo negative test until you brought up HIV 2. I tested again at a state health center yesterday in San Fransisco. I asked the women who drew my blood if the test is for HIV2, she said that HIV2 is not prevalent in the USA. She went on to say that the HIV1 test would pick up antibodies for HIV2, if I was infected w/ that... Not_scared, I would think that a state funded health center in San Fransisco ( of all places) would cover their bases on HIV2 as a possiblity of infection. If they don't test for it, then it must not be a great concern..... what is your take on this issue?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

First... new
      #7138 - 07/13/00 12:47 PM

what do health departments in San Francisco say is the window period? 3 months or 6 months?

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: First... new
      #7139 - 07/13/00 01:00 PM

The California Aids Hotline has quoted me by 3mos. is about 98%, by 6mo. 99.99999.

(1-800-922-2437)

good luck to all.

Not_scared
Unregistered

Re: Not_Scared.. re: Hiv1/2.. new
      #7144 - 07/13/00 02:33 PM

YOU ARE HIV-- !!!! NEGATIVE with a capital "N"
At five months, even a the test in March 1985 when it was first licensed would react on ELISA
Rick Sowadsky, who will not change his position on the six-month window period has said 5 1/2 months is conclusive regardless of what test you take. So, maybe like I did, you should get on your knees and sing praises to the HOLY GOD who saved us this dreaded disease. Congratulations and I am happy to hear negatives, negatives, negatives from you and everyone!! I don't think I've heard of one positive on this whole board!!!
My point about NEw York is that there army of health professionals that have agreed to a consensus that at 3 months you are CONCLUSIVE (Not almost conclusive like WORRIED2000 uses that silly phrase; that's like saying "almost pregnant"---yeah, he'll be a great lawyer. Brush up on that logic test WORRIED2000! JUST KIDDING, not a flame or dig to you WORRIED2000, so you don't have a cause of action against me). NEW YORK stipulated that they would only stand by that conclusion if and only if you tested at their labs using their test. They would not vouch for a "conclusive" test using Vironostika kits like OraSure nor Home ACCess uses at THREE MONTHS. Whoever doesn't like these facts, call up ALbany in NEW YORK STATE, the headquarters for the medical staff of NY STATE health dept, and they will set down the basis for their arguments. "A fortiori" to not believe everything on this post!!

Not_scared
Unregistered

#7148 - 07/13/00 03:35 PM

The issue wasn't HIV-2. It was that HIV-2 tests by default shorten the window period. And this test is used by NEw YORk (my area) state, and their studies allow one to consider themselves negative at three months (CONCLUSIVELY--not "almost" conclusively) with this HIV-1/HIV-2 combo test (which is a later generation test using synthetic peptides; i don't know if this a "sandwich"type assay which is the ultimate ELISA)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#7158 - 07/13/00 07:47 PM

Do you guys consider 3 months to be 12 weeks or 90 days? And what would be 25 weeks?

Anonymous
Unregistered

San Fransisco Window new
      #7163 - 07/13/00 10:02 PM

6mo is conclusive in San Fransisco, 3mo is 90-95%..

Anonymous
Unregistered

#7165 - 07/13/00 10:20 PM

90days.. wait a few more to be safe

BDG
Unregistered

#7178 - 07/13/00 11:48 PM

Whenever I've been quoted the window period, it's always been represented as 12 weeks.

Not_scared
Unregistered

Re: BDG is right: 12 weeks new
      #7186 - 07/14/00 01:47 AM

A graph out of brother's pathology book shows that 12 weeks is the exact number of weeks when the virus clears (in the major studies done) and correspondingly the antibodies are detectable. If you want the cite and the page number, I will be glad to give it to you. It's a book used to teach Harvard Medical School first year MD students

Anonymous
Unregistered

#7196 - 07/14/00 07:38 AM

Thank-you for your kind reply. So 6 months would be 24 weeks, right?

BDG
Unregistered

#7210 - 07/14/00 03:15 PM

Yup, somewhere around there. You have to realize that when people mention figures like 12 weeks and 6 months, they have to have a buffer in there. There's no way that someone can say that 12 weeks is conclusive if they thought that someone may take the full 12 weeks to develop antibodies. There has to be a safety zone. I have no idea how long this buffer would be, but what I can say is that if you test approximately at the end of the window period (12 weeks or 6 months, whichever you believe in), you will get an accurate test.

Anonymous2000
Unregistered

#7214 - 07/14/00 04:12 PM

But the problem is that whatever you believe in doesn't affect the antibodies...

BDG
Unregistered

#7238 - 07/16/00 11:09 AM

I know, but the reason I say what you believe in is because I believe in a 12 week conclusive result. I personally think it's just a waste to test past that point in most circumstances. Just needless worry. However, I can't impose what I believe on everyone because everyone has to make an informed decision. At this point it's not very uselful arguing about the window period anymore because everyone's done quite a bit of that already. I think it's better for people to choose when they want their last test to be. If someone is happy after 12 weeks I'm cool with that because I think they're correct about the window period. And if someone chooses to test out to 6 months, then that's their choice and I'm not the one to convince them otherwise.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3675

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3