Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Condom Question Please
      #70757 - 09/01/03 07:27 AM

Hello everyone,

I have a few basic questions about condoms. There is somuch onthe Internet that I am really confused.

1-Are latex condoms barriers to HIV? Can it get through? On what basis can it get through?

2-If they are barriers then why are there so many "studies" that say condoms are not really effective as HIV barriers? Are they speaking to latex vs. lambskin? I have seen studies that say condoms range in effectiveness from 65-100%...

3-I have been reading that circumcision is a real barrier to HIV. THoughts..? IN Africa, the reason why so many cases are F-M is that the man is UNcircumcised. Here in the states F-M seems to be not very common or easy

4-If there are only about 950,000 estimated cases of HIV/AIDS ( INCLUDING Canada)-then does it stand to reason with so many people having sex every minute, it must be a difficult virus to catch? I mean it seems that you have a better cahnce of getting hit by a car.

Help and any thoughts please...

Thank you very much.

A Friend in Philly

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Condom Question Please new
      #70843 - 09/02/03 08:42 AM

can someone please give me real information please?

Switch625
Guru

Reged: 08/07/03
      #70846 - 09/02/03 09:10 AM

DON'T listen to the jerk who posted those ridiculous articles. They are garbage and not recognized by the scientific community. It's misinformation like that which causes people to worry more than they need to. Now, onto your questions. I will, hopefully, be able to provide you with more realistic and informed answers.

1.) Intact latex condoms are very effective barriers to HIV. In a four year study with 123 serodiscordant couples (one partner was HIV+ and the other was negatvie), they used latex condoms each and every time they had sex. After four years, the negative people remained negative. Latex condoms are actually double-dipped and HIV simply can not get through them. The only way it could get through is with a tear or a break in the condom.

2.) Most of the "studies" you refer to are by denialist groups and religious nuts who feel it is okay to post wrong information. You saw a little of that already by the idiotic response you got earlier. It's possible some studies are speaking of lambskin condoms, but it has been known for quite some time that they do not protect against HIV. Stick to scientific sites like The Body for accurate and up to date information on HIV, you can never go wrong.

3.) There has been no definitive study to date on circumcision lessening your chances of contracting HIV. There are theories, but nothing has been proven. If anything, the difference between circumcised and uncircumcised is so minute, they shouldn't really be looked at differently.

4.) Yes, HIV is difficult to transmit. People don't realize that there are other STI's which are much more contagious. I think it's simply that HIV is a much scarier disease and it tends to freak people out. In receptive unprotected anal sex, you have a 0.1%-0.3% chance of contracting HIV. Those are very small odds.

I hope that helps!

--------------------
Life is meant for living, not fearing.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#70848 - 09/02/03 09:25 AM

Whew and Thank you!

Ok, now I am not good with math-what does 0.1%-0.3% actually mean?..is that 1-3 is 1,000? Also you say that is for receptive anal-my only ( and always latex protected) exposure(s) in my sex life have always been insertive vaginal--knowing what I know and have read, the odds are much lower for that if not actually zero-

Please answer me once again-

Thank you!

Switch625
Guru

Reged: 08/07/03
      #70849 - 09/02/03 10:11 AM

It is out of 100, not 1000.

I stated that statistic simply because receptive anal sex provides the most significant exposure. Yes, insertive vaginal sex is lower than receptive anal, but it is not zero risk. But since you always use latex condoms, you should not be concerned about HIV transmission.

--------------------
Life is meant for living, not fearing.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#70868 - 09/02/03 04:07 PM

The bottom line is, regardless of exact statisitcs, those who live dangerously and constantly have unsafe sex will probably get the virus one time or another. You might not get it the first time, or even the 10th time,or even the 50th time, but eventually you probably will if you keep it up.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1282

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3