Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sore throat
      #7041 - 07/11/00 11:09 PM

I have a question regarding a persistent sore throat i have had for about seven weeks after a possible exposure (the sore throat started about a week after the incident). i tested negative at six weeks. does that at least mean the sore throat is not HIV related. i realize i still must test at 3 and 6 months. but can i at least say this sore throat must be something else?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
worried like u
Unregistered

Re: Sore throat new
      #7046 - 07/11/00 11:28 PM

not hiv related

BDG
Unregistered

#7055 - 07/11/00 11:52 PM

I agree, I don't think it's HIV related because of the sheer duration of the sore throat. It's not typical for ARS symptoms to last that long.

However, I don't think the negative test you had proves that it's not HIV related. That's because it is theoretically possible that you are suffering from acute infection symptoms and have not yet developed detectable antibodies.

However, I'll say it again that I don't think that your sore throat is HIV related. It has lasted way to long, and on top of that, it would be very unusual for you to get just a sore throat as a manifestation of HIV. You would normally have more symptoms!

Good luck on your coming tests!

alexandria
Unregistered

#7064 - 07/12/00 03:30 AM

If it helps you any, I had pus on my tonsil after a "high Risk" exposure. Then I developed aches, rash, severe sore throat, night sweats, swollen nodes, you name it.. I have had a negative test at 5months.. my throat still hurts alittle. I'm going to take another test this weekend, it'll be 6 months.. I have convinced myself that I have HIV. I have been sick and very depressed. I hope you don't go through what I did.. Good luck

David
Unregistered

Alexandria new
      #7079 - 07/12/00 10:54 AM

I wish you all the best. I'm one roughly 8 weeks behind you. I had a "one-night" stand back on March. I have had a sore throat and swollen glands off and on for the last two months. My fist and second HIV tests were done at 7 weeks and 13 weeks. Both were negative. I now have to wait until the 6 month window arrives (September). I've worried myself sick, almost lost my marriage, Having difficulties dealing with depression. How have you been able to cope? I have contemplated suicide, but can't leave the responsibility of raising two little boys to my wife. I have prayed a lot and done much research.

Any advice you or anyone else has would be greatly appreciated.

Best of luck on you 6 month test. Please let us know how it turns out.....I will be checking

Best regards,
David

Anonymous
Unregistered

David new
      #7082 - 07/12/00 12:37 PM

David... I'm in almost your same situation. I'm married and with 1 son... I have contemplated suicide too...even that my exposure was "low risk" . A sttriper who was masturbating touch my lips and face with her hand, and Im worried that she might had vaginal fluids on her hand that couls infect me somehow. This was 4 weeks ago, I havent been tested, my wife is noticing that there is something wrong with me, Im too affraid to tell her what happend, but Im afraid with the posibility to infect her too!!! :o( I haven't had any symptomps but a strange tenderness on the left front side of my neck. I also have a swollen node there, but I believe I have had it since allways (not sure). This "pain" on my neck has driven me crazy and makes me to think about HIV constantlly, I cant concentrate on anything else. I have asked many "experts" on the internet and all of them had told my my exposure was LOW/NO RISK...but I still cant forget about it. Do you think I should get tested soon, or wait until 3 months? What was your exposure? Do you have any symptomps?

Worried Like U
Unregistered

Re: David new
      #7084 - 07/12/00 12:57 PM

Listen, stop, take a deep breath, and step back from the ledge. What good would suicide do anyone? If you are alive, it is much better for your families than if you are dead. Stop dianosing yourselves. The chances are that you are negative, especially those of you who tested already. Even if any of you are positive, there are so many options today that could help you to live into old age. Why does none of this good stuff ever get through to anyone? Stop dwelling on the bad, I know it is hard. But we all have so much to live for. There are many hiv positive people who are living healthy normal lives. They are not nearly as negative as the people who write in here that don't even know their status, except that they have decided in their own minds they are dying. Even untreated, a person can live 10 years or more without symptoms of aids. What good would suicide do for anyone - none.
Good luck and God Bless

David
Unregistered

#7091 - 07/12/00 03:05 PM

I performed oral sex on a person who's hiv status is unknown. She was very experienced though. I Don't even know their last name or where they live. I've had a sore throat/swollen glands for several weeks. My Dr. said that the risk is fairly low, and that there are very few cases where hiv is spread from woman to man through oral sex (assuming no blood or open wounds in your mouth). There is nothing I can do except wait. I have told my wife, she has been the backbone of our marriage. We have started to seek counseling. I look at it this way, If I'm given a second chance I will NEVER be untrue to her again.

Your chances are VERY low. I've been told that hiv is will not survive when exposed to the air. Since you did not have direct contact with her vagina your chances of catching something are remote. If you are unable to cope with the guilt then, you may want to have the HIV antibody test performed. Have the test done at 3 months then again at 6 months to be sure.

/David

Anonymous
Unregistered

#7092 - 07/12/00 03:40 PM

Im going through the same thing, i performed oral sex without protection and my life has turned upsidedown. I contemplated suicide also so i guess im not crazy. I thought that if i had hiv my life insurance would not pay my family, and that my health insurance would be cut off thus leaving us living a miserable life. Well im still here, and the best lesson to teach our children is to face whatever problem you have and show them that the easy way out is never the best. For them we have to be strong whatever the outcome because if we love them we have to teach them whats right.

Alexandria
Unregistered

Re: Alexandria new
      #7128 - 07/13/00 09:30 AM

David,
I have tested 4 times after the 3mo window period and thay were all negative. Even though I had all of the symptoms I still test negative, At three months I got really sick, this is when my sore throat peaked, I had a wierd rash all over my body, I had night sweats, my nodes were swollen and even ached. That is when I decided to test. I did a rapid eliza and that was negative. I waited another month, I was sure that the 4mo test would show positive because I had been experiencing all the symptoms, but to my relief it was negative. Finally, even 1mo later I took 2 additional tests at different locations, but results were still negative. Yesterday I took the 6mo test (176days), I will get my results back on the 26th of this mo. If this is negative I am going to let it go. I will then be a firm believer in the 3mo window period. This whole time I have had my doubt, thinking "what if", but the closer I get to 6mo and continue to test negative and the more my symptoms disappear, the more I realize that their is either another funky virus out there, or that God is trying to teach me a lesson (the hard way)... David, I wish you the best of luck, this is a very hard thing to go through. One thing that I would keep in mind, My doctor told me this, he said, "The people that are usually the most concerned are the ones that USUALLY at less risk, the ones that are in denial are the ones that he worries about most.".. Good luck to you.....

Anonymous
Unregistered

#7129 - 07/13/00 09:31 AM

yes we do.. we have t teach them not to have unprotected sex so that they never have to go through this nightmare...

Anonymous
Unregistered

#7233 - 07/15/00 11:43 PM

What did your sore throat feel like? How long did it last?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4466

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3