Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

cut my finger in veding machine
      #6933 - 07/10/00 08:58 AM

...I have a question regarding transmission. I am pretty sure that this would be low risk but it has been bothering me. Yesterday I stuck my hand in a vending machine to retreive the soda I purchased, while grabbing the soda, I scratched my finger on a piece inside the machine. I didn't really bleed but I did notice some torn skin...if someone had cut their hand previously on that piece of metal could I have trasmitted HIV this way? I am concerned because it was a very busy day at the zoo (where I was) and I have a feeling that alot of people were getting drinks out of there. I know that this may come off as a stupid question, but I am still concerned. Thank you.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: cut my finger in veding machine new
      #6939 - 07/10/00 11:43 AM

the chances that ur struck by lightning are much more than what you have described !

hiv does not survive outside the body for a long time and you are also assuming that someone with hiv, purchased at the same vending machine, had a cut, that too exactly at the same place where you had !!

come on, what are the odds here ? take it easy and just forget it !

BDG
Unregistered

Re: cut my finger in veding machine new
      #6942 - 07/10/00 11:51 AM

I agree. Theoretically infection is possible, but only theoretically. In all practicality, you probably have a much better chance of being hit by a meteor on the way home from picking up your lottery winning! In other words, don't even think about it!

aanxious
Unregistered

what has the world come to new
      #6954 - 07/10/00 03:03 PM

if people are worrying about these sorts of accidnets.. my gosh, our world is a mess. anyway hon, youre right, that was a silly question. if HIV was that easy to get, we'd be dropping like flies. [smiles] Why do you have the fear anyway? I think my HIV fear came from high school health class.. not quite to the same extent as your fear though hehe.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: what has the world come to new
      #6957 - 07/10/00 03:20 PM

I know, I am just a mess about this. I can't explain what triggered the HIV fear...but I can definatly say, I have OCD regarding this. If I am not scared about one way of transmission, it is another. I am married, faithful to my husband and have a beautiful 2 year old son....I think I am just obsessed that I will contract this horrible disease (through cuts and scrapes )and my life will end. I know my post is really stupid but I guess I really needed reassurance as to how stupid it was. Thanks for replying!

BDG
Unregistered

#6961 - 07/10/00 03:57 PM

I hope I can help you a bit by posting this. I too believed I had OCD or something because of my terrible fear of aquiring HIV infection. You shouldn't be that certain that you have OCD.

You may demonstrate some obessive qualitites when you think of HIV, but don't convince yourself (or anyone you might be seeing for help) that you have OCD. OCD is a very serious condition that you most probably don't have.

Do you find yourself obsessing about other things as well? Do you find yourself engaging in regular repetitive rituals (i.e. washing your hands numerous times after specific events every day, or feeling like you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO do things that really aren't very sensible) every day?

These are some questions that Mental Health professionals ask you when they think you have OCD.

The reason I tell you to be careful is that when I first started feeling that I may have been infected with HIV through really irrational events, my doctor suggested I may be suffering from OCD. I went along with this and visited a shrink who, after a lot of visits, determined that I wasn't suffering from OCD, but had a genuine HIV phobia.

I think it's important that you determine whether or not you suffer from OCD before you actually take any further steps. Treatment for OCD involves taking many antidepressant drugs which really aren't necessary or helpful if you don't really suffer from the problem. In fact, they can be quite counterproductive if you are not suffering from OCD.

I found that simply talking to a counsellor helped my fears tremendously. It takes hard work, but eventually, one day your fears just disappear! You have to trust me on that one!

Sorry to blabber on, but I recognize when someone may be going through what I did (and still am going through in a way). You don't want to make the mistake of being mis-diagnosed with OCD.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#6992 - 07/11/00 08:06 AM

I DEFINATLY have OCD...I have been diagnosed (about 4 years ago) and was on medication until I got pregnant. After I had my son, I started meds again but I stopped them a few months ago because my hubby and I want to try for #2. I am finding it increasingly difficult each day to go on with this HIV fear. I did previously have some washing and checking issues...those are still with me but not to the extent of the HIV phobia. I just wish I didn't have to think about this....I mean, how many other people convince themselves they have HIV from a cut on a vending machine???!!!!

BDG
Unregistered

#6994 - 07/11/00 10:53 AM

Since it has been determined that you have OCD, I think your best bet is to continue seeing someone who can help you.

I can't really comment too much on OCD because as I mentioned, the people I saw believe that I do not suffer from it. What I can tell you is that there are numerous people out there that also have fears similar to yours, so you're not the only one. These are irrational fears. I know what it feels like. Everyone else seems to know for sure that you haven't been infected, but it is so hard to convince yourself of that.

Keep working on it. Eventually I think things will become better. Although our situations are different, they did become better for me. I wish you the best of luck in your situation. And try to convince yourself that you're not at risk from what happened to you.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#7246 - 07/17/00 12:58 AM

if your so worried keep your hands in your pockets otherwise
try and realise the most youll get is an infection the virus
can't live outside the body and dies in less then 60 sec.
if we all worry the way you do we should just end it now
stop worrying and start liveing.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3835

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3