Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Not_scared
Unregistered

NEW YORK STATE or CITY LABS
      #6899 - 07/09/00 07:06 PM

NEW YORK STATE'S OFFICIAL POSITION: 12 weeks is all you need to be certain (unlike Rick Sowadsky's contention). 12 weeks if and only if: you don't have an intervening HIV exposure risk, AND if you test at a NY STATE or CITY site using their 2nd generation synthetic peptide ELISA. They test you twice ELISA and then do a WB only if it's reactive.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: NEW YORK STATE or CITY LABS new
      #6900 - 07/09/00 07:08 PM

And it's free, that is, this 2nd generation antibody test(you don't need and shouldn't rely upon a DNA or RNA PCR; too many false positives. Do you want to have an unnecessary heart attack over a false positive (5-10% false + rate)???!!!

AnonymousPC
Unregistered

PCR DNA new
      #6901 - 07/09/00 07:51 PM

I see that you have some technical knowledge about all these tests and I respect that. Now, I have a question regarding your previous post, you said that DNA PCR tests can give 5% to 10% false positive results, which is true and also said by many great immunologists. What do you think about the accuracy/reliability of negative results?
The reason I'm asking is because I had a PCR DNA done at 30 days past last possible exposure and came back 'none detected', and a negative ELISA at 5 1/2 weeks (both done at Smithkline Beecham Labs). Do you happend to know the sensitivity of qualitative DNA PCR tests?
I am still going to test at 3 and 6 mo, but just want a good opinion on my odds. Thanks!

Not_scared
Unregistered

Re: PCR DNA new
      #6902 - 07/09/00 08:12 PM

I don't know enough about this topic to comment. However, my science training (and common sense) suggests that if something is more prone to give a positive result, then it makes a false negative very improbable. I read at the Johns Hopkins AIDS Service site that the viral load reaches its peak at three weeks after infection. Therefore, a four week test should theoretically detect the peak viremia of viral genetic material if the test is done correctly. I would be relieved to have a negative DNA or RNA PCR at four weeks. I would have gotten one had I been able to afford it; but scientists are as broke as anyone else!!

AnonymousPC
Unregistered

#6903 - 07/09/00 08:44 PM

Thanks a lot for your opinion. I am still scared, as I developed some of the ARS symptoms (muscle ache, swollen nodes, dull abdominal pain, fatigue) after 5 weeks. The result of my PCR DNA at 4 weeks is very encourraging, but all these symptoms blew most of it away.
Good luck and GOD BLESS!

Rizzo
Unregistered

#6906 - 07/09/00 09:54 PM

I had a DNA PCR test done at 31 days and a viral load RNA test done at 33 days. Both of them were negative. They probably are conclusive.

Not_scared
Unregistered

#6910 - 07/09/00 10:53 PM

Wow, two PCR's. I wish I has less science knowledge and more money!!!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#6914 - 07/09/00 11:15 PM

So, what are you saying? Just ask my doctor for the combined HIV-1/2 test? That will always be at least 2nd or 3rd generation test, right?

Not_scared
Unregistered

#6916 - 07/09/00 11:27 PM

http://hopkins-aids.edu/frames/index_booktoc.html
is the site for the best AIDS information anyone can give you. there they give you rates of false positives and false negatives and it is always updated. THIS IS THE PLACE FOR RELIABLE INFO.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#6920 - 07/09/00 11:35 PM

The Johns Hopkins AIDS Service states that the DNA PCR test is GREATER THANK 99% sensitive. So you can breathe heckuva lot easier! PRAISE GOD FROM WHOM ALL BLESSINGS AND GOOD THINGS FLOW !!!

BDG
Unregistered

#6921 - 07/09/00 11:36 PM

As far as I can tell, it has to be. I don't think the combination HIV1/HIV2 test is possible using first generation assays.

Anonymous
Unregistered

GET A GRIP new
      #6926 - 07/10/00 12:49 AM

COME ON PEOPLE. ALL OVER THE WORLD, ALL THE LABS ARE USING THE SAME ELISA TEST, THE LATEST GENERATION OF ALL, THAT IS, THE THIRD GENERATION. STOP THE BULLSHIT ABOUT 2 OR 3 GENERATION, GET A GRIP.
It is just a thing of interpretation. No matter the generation of the test (2, 3, 4, 5...whatever!) the CDC will say 6 MONTHS. Mostly the rest of the WORLD will say 3 MONTHS. STOP THE [censored]. If THE CDC knew that third generations were to have conclusive results at 12 weeks then they will order every one to use it, but get a grip, everyone is using the third generation today because they are the only one available. Its like trying to buy a betamax these days or a 368 or 486 chip, they dont made it anymore. GET A GRIP PEOPLE. Its just a thing of interpretation, not sensitivity.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: GET A GRIP new
      #6930 - 07/10/00 08:46 AM

Wow, it's easy to spout off at the mouth isn't it! You must have gotten your B.S. in B.S. instead of biology or chemistry!
How can you say that the CDC would "Order" everyone to use a certain test. You cannot control the older technologies from being used long after newer ones have been instituted.
You can only give yourself the latest generation by asking for it. At the third month, I wanted the latest antibody test; that's only I wanted for my terrified self and now for the presently terrified folks on this board.
I personally interviewed the laboratory staffs at SmithKline Beecham Labs (before they were bought out by Quest). THey claim (and get off your lazy ass and call them yourself) that they switched back to the 1st generation because the 2d generation caused them to have to do too many Western Blots. They were too sensitive. But this is what I wanted, a very sensitive test. Of course, the problem was that the Western BLot also had to be equally sensitive and many times they did not have a analogous sensitivity.
AT ANY RATE, I did not want to forgo a sensitive test because of a laboratory's staff preference for not wanting to do the extra work, if necessary. SO you have to ask for it, or you most likely will not get, the 2d or 3d generation tests. You can achieve this simply by asking for the combo HIV-1/2

Not_scared
Unregistered

#6931 - 07/10/00 08:49 AM

I forgot to use my UserName "Not_Scared" for my answer to "Get a Grip" above.

Not_Scared
Unregistered

#6932 - 07/10/00 08:52 AM

Last time: the HIV-1/2 combined test (a "single" test) is by default one of the later generations. I don't believe they grow HIV-2 and lyse it like they do HIV-1. It is synthetic peptides or Recombinant DNA for its antigen source.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4826

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3