Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

pcr undetectable & pcr negative
      #6814 - 07/07/00 06:19 PM

hello worried fraternity !

after roughly 7 weeks after exposure i had my pcr results today and they came out undetectable. Does this mean that its negative ? If it is negative, then how accurate is pcr @ 7 weeks ? can somebody help me out ?

i learnt about my results from the nurse(over the phone) and am yet to speak with my doctor.. and not-to-mention.. i am still going nuts !!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AnonymousPC
Unregistered

Re: pcr undetectable & pcr negative new
      #6828 - 07/07/00 09:50 PM

DNA PCR tests today are 99.99% accurate, meaning that there is an extremly low rate of false result. Since you had a 'none detected' result, this was a qualitative viral test, meaning it will not show viral load, will only say weather the virus was found in the blood or not. I don't know the sensitivity of these tests (the lowest viral load detectable), I am very anxious to find out too, so if anyone knows anything, please post the info.
I think though that you are questioning how conclusive is the PCR DNA at 7 weeks. Well, I red a lot about this and dr. Holodny at Harvard Univ said that PCR DNA at 4 weeks is as accurate as ELISA at 6 mo, based on limited published studies and his personal observations. Now, you draw the conclusion, my guess is that 7 weeks is at least as accurate as 4 weeks. I would also suggest that you take an ELISA soon, just to rule out the possibility that your body developed enough antibodies to bring down viral load to undetactable levels for the PCR test. If that would be the case (GOD forbid!), ELISA would detect the antibodies.
I had a 'none detected' result as well on a 4 weeks PCR DNA, but I am extremly scared now (6 weeks), as I have developed some symptoms resembling ARS, scarriest one is swollen lymph nodes. I also had 2 negative ELISAs at 4 weeks and 5 1/2 weeks, so odds are in my favor (thank GOD), but I will test further with ELISA at 2 mo and 3 mo.
Good luck to you!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#6832 - 07/07/00 10:45 PM

thanks a ton for replying. i had a ELISA negative at 4 weeks and this pcr 'non detectable' at 7 weeks. i have read similar info that pcr is generally 99% accurate at 4 weeks. i am sort-of relieved but still keeping my fingers crossed till my 2 & 3 month tests.

what was the nature risk you have been exposed to ? (if u don't mind). i wish you good luck and hope we all are negative.

AnonymousPC
Unregistered

#6837 - 07/07/00 11:46 PM

I had unprotected intercourse with a woman I met on a chat line on the internet. I usualy don't drink, but that night I got drunk and didn't realise what I was doing. First time unprotected for me and definitelly last.
I am so scared, despite my good testing results, I am now experiencing a lot of the ARS symptoms. I am terified.
Did you experience any symptoms yet?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#6838 - 07/08/00 12:04 AM

i did have several ars symptoms too... sore throat, cold, fever, body aches etc. but no lymph node swellings & rash that i can recall of (if thats any consolation for me).

i just hope the signs of hope for us really give us a second chance to live the life that we all took for granted. good luck buddy. if i have more info on pcr, please post.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
2 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2486

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3