Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

needles?
      #67908 - 07/21/03 10:27 AM

I dont understand still how sharing needles for injecting drugs can pass on hiv when I read that hiv doesnt infect once exposed to air.I read that its due to a sealed environment but isnt blood in a hollow bore needle exposed to air after a person has used it?Also doesn't whatever the needle draw in mix with the blood that was already in the hollow bore reducing its ability to infect?I'm kinda confused here,can anyone help?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: needles? new
      #67910 - 07/21/03 11:39 AM

A simplified explantion. If you have ever looked at a syringe of a needle you will find that as blood is pull up from the needle it goes into the syringe part. The blood is pulled up because of the suction created as the plunger is pulled up the syringe. The blood in that syringe is never exposed to air. Same thing when a needle is used. The plunger is pushed down and the substance is pushed into the vein. Air bubbles mixed with that can be deadly, so syringes are designed to keep air from mixing with the fluids. The reason it is such a problem for IV drug users is that there is always an amount of 'backwash' so to speak that enters the syringe. Most people using IV drugs probably also are not taking care of their health, and thus if they are infected probably have an very high viral load that increase the risk of transmission.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#67913 - 07/21/03 12:57 PM

why doesn't hiv die when the blood left over from the needle is again mixed with the substance they are injecting.I only ask this because I thought hiv was fragile and doesn't survive well when mixed with other substances.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#67916 - 07/21/03 01:34 PM

A substance such as Saliva will inhibit the virus. However other substances mixed with it won't. What's your interest in this? If you are an IV drug user, I'm sure you know the mechinics of needles and syringes. If you aren't a drug user, then you don't have anything to worry about. Whether you understand it or not, IV drug use is the number one way to become infected.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#67917 - 07/21/03 01:50 PM

Trying to help out a friend who stepped on a syringe.And your rite I'm not familiar with the mechanics of a syringe.I also read in the "Safe Sex, HIV Prevention and Transmission" forum by "dr Bob" that once a the hollow bore is exposed to air then you cant get hiv by getting pricked by it,so I guess getting pricked must pose a less risk if any compared to injecting,rite?thanks for your help.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#67920 - 07/21/03 02:53 PM

That's very true. Getting prick doesn't mean any of the fluid actually makes it to the blood stream. An injection straight to the vein is a quick trip for the virus.

However your friend might want to get check out for Hepatitis. It's much more likely something like that can be transferred by a prick of a needle.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2083

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3