Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

hiv survival skeptic for jackie
      #67591 - 07/15/03 12:01 PM

hey I read a previous post about shaking hands with open cuts.Ok fair enough hiv dies outside the body but do we know how long exactly?I read it dies after 10 mins but what if hiv blood makes contact on open wounds befor that?I mean the time it takes for blood to make contact through a handshake would be straight away like about a second if the to open wounds were to make direct contact through a handshake,rite?Isnt it similar to a blood brother ritual?what the risk there if a blood brother ritual lasted for a few seconds?Hope you can set the record straight here coz I'm confused.cheers.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
Re: hiv survival skeptic for jackie new
      #67647 - 07/16/03 05:21 AM

You all keep talking about shaking hands with someone that has a cut and putting that in the same context as a blood brother ritual.

First off, I've never seen where a blood brother ritual is considered an unsafe activity for transmission. I've seen blood to blood transmissions listed as 'transfusions and needles' In both cases the blood has been contained in an AIR TIGHT environment.

I'm sure that whatever amount of blood you are talking about isn't nearly as much as there would be if you are slicing your hand open on purpose. As soon as the virus hits the air, it starts to lose it's ability to infect. Also don't forget, people bleed OUT, not IN. I don't think the virus can swim upstream so to speak. Also as soon as a person cuts themselves the body starts to mend the cut. So by the time you quit bleeding OUT, the cut is no longer an exposed cut. You need to look at the list of ways the virus is transmitted. If it's not on there by now, then it's just a 'what if' sceneiro.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#67656 - 07/16/03 09:20 AM

Ok so if its not air tight then theres no risk hu.Oh and yeh I did think it was possable for hiv to swim up into a cut,I read that hiv can get into cuts inside the vagina so I assumed it was the same for other cuts.One last thing,isnt it a sealed invironment when to open cuts are joined together for a few seconds?and if so cant the hiv virus in no way get into the other persons blood stream this way?Thanks for your help jackie your make me feel alot less worried about this.Hows your friend by the way.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#67660 - 07/16/03 10:30 AM

THINK. Yes, HIV can get into cuts in the vaginia. That is considered 'airtight' so to speak. The lining is also comprised much of mucous lining which is what HIV can use to get in to the body. THAT'S WHY UNPROTECTED VAGINIAL INTERCOURSE MAKES THE LIST FOR RISK.

A small cut on the hand is not the same thing as a small cut in the vaginia. No. Pressing two cuts together IS NOT the same thing as a sealed environment.

Haven't heard from his family yet, and no answer on their phone. Our local hospital can't really handle all he needs so he's up the road a couple of hours. No news is good news. Thanks for asking.

Anonymous
Unregistered

are you sure new
      #67661 - 07/16/03 02:09 PM

yo... um what about nurses and doctors that get it? Ok, so it's not quite shaking hands... but cuts are a route

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: are you sure new
      #67664 - 07/16/03 04:11 PM

Health care individuals are at risk for NEEDLE sticks. You're right it's not quite like shaking hands. It's not anything near that. HIV is transmitted by needles. That's a well known fact. Why do you think IV Drug users are in a high risk group.

Look I'm tired of all this. If you want to believe that you can get HIV from shaking hands, even with cuts on them, go ahead. I can't stop you. But I'm not debating this any more.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: are you sure,original poster here new
      #67709 - 07/17/03 09:22 AM

hi jackie,just for the record that wasnt me who asked "the r u sure question"sum other worried well joined in hehe.Anyway thanks for your help,you know alot more than the gps I've seen(they know jack)and scared the hell outa me.I'd never debate what you say I just want to b certain and make sure I've pointed out any exposure I'm worried about.I take your word for whatever you say and you have made me feel far less worried.Thanks heaps jackie all the best.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
Re: are you sure,original poster here new
      #67750 - 07/18/03 05:00 AM

Sorry about that. All you anon's look alike :)

You can always debate with me or question me about something. Remember I am not a doctor. I just got put out with that last question, because it was lacking any common sense.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2910

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3