Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous2000
Unregistered

HIV Testing
      #6657 - 07/05/00 05:06 PM

Another question:
I went to my AIDS clinic for a test a while back. When I took the ELISA oral test and asked him about the time frame, he told me that after 25 days, the test is considered 99.9% accurate. Now I'm reading on here that the three months is required...it was about two months after a possible exposure that I took the test...I'm just curious.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jedi Master
Unregistered

wow! new
      #6658 - 07/05/00 05:13 PM

Wow, so 25 days is considered 99.9% accurate. So would that mean 3 months is 99.9999999% and six months 99.99999999999999%
I have read six months to be more than 99.9999999 accurante, then most people say 3 months is conclusive already and also something like 99.99 accurate but 25 days 99.99% accurate. Are they talking about elisa test? third or fourth generation elisas? What clinic did actually told you that?

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: wow! new
      #6660 - 07/05/00 05:25 PM

Our state funded HIV clinic's counselor told me that when I asked him about the accuracy....it's kind of interesting I think.

Anonymous2000
Unregistered

#6661 - 07/05/00 05:26 PM

Our state funded HIV clinic's counselor told me that when I asked him about the accuracy....it's kind of interesting I think.

Worried Like U
Unregistered

#6669 - 07/05/00 08:16 PM

One Thing to be aware of: Some people at clinics are saying things that they learned in the training class they received 3 hours earlier. Also, I have learned that when they say it is 99% accurate, they mean accurate in terms of not giving a false negative, not necessarily in diagnosing at an early stage. In other words, an Elisa is over 99% accurate in that it would be extremely rare to get a false positive, not that it could detect by a certain point in time. I would suggest that you stick with the 3 month. I have never heard anyone suggest it was that accurate so early on.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#6685 - 07/06/00 12:39 AM

I don't believe that 25days is long enough.. I still have questions about 3mo.. keep testing

Anonymous
Unregistered

Ave. vs. certain new
      #6706 - 07/06/00 09:36 AM

I wonder if the clinic worker didn't confuse the *average* time to a positive reading (25 days according to the doctors in the forums) with the three-month '99% sure' limit.

BDG
Unregistered

Re: Ave. vs. certain new
      #6725 - 07/06/00 11:53 AM

25 days has been considered that average time it takes a person to develop detectable antibodies for HIV once infected. So, the test is approximately 50% accurate at that point. Test out to 3 months at least.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1953

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3