Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Jersey girl
Unregistered

Elisa test after 135 days.
      #6624 - 07/04/00 09:25 PM

i took an elisa test after 3 months and it was negative. i took another one after 135 days ( 4 1-2 months) b/c i couldn't wait another 3 months without going INsane !

i am still going insane! does anyone here know if a test after this amount of time is ACCurate? oi can't get over these feelings i'm having. i see my family and i want to cry. i don't go out, i sit at home and sleep all day long.

this is too much.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Elisa test after 135 days. new
      #6630 - 07/05/00 05:23 AM

What was your risk? In any case, a negative test at 4.5 months is extremely good news! I know exactly how you feel -I went through a couple of years of hell, driving myself insane about "potential risks" when in actual fact none of them were risks at all. I was eventually put on medication for depression, obsessive compulsive disorder and anxiety, and just like that, my worries disappeared - because they were never worth worrying about to begin with! (I just couldn't see that until I began treatment.) You may well have had a real risk factor to start with, but I just thought I'd share my experience on the off-chance that it helps you or someone else. Let me know how you get on:)

Worried Like U
Unregistered

#6632 - 07/05/00 08:06 AM

You should be happy rather than worrying. A test after 3 months is considered conclusive by many countries and groups with much more insight than me. I, personally waited longer, but look at it this way. If you were going to test positive at 5 1/2 months(almost 6 months), your test would probably have come back indeterminate at 4 1/2 months, not negative. So that should make you very happy. Anyway, I know this is a way to talk to people, but try to get someone to talk to in person. It helps a lot.
Good luck and God Bless.

Jedi Master
Unregistered

#6639 - 07/05/00 12:33 PM

I also took an elisa test at 4 1/2 months and it was negative. I stick with that result because my doctor told me it was conclusive. What did your doctor told you?
Anyway, we are 1 1/2 months behind the 3 months window period so I think it is conclusive.
One thing, im gonna say it again: AN ELISA TEST CAN ONLY HAVE TWO RESULTS: NEGATIVE OR POSITIVE. INDETERMINATE, NEGATIVE OR POSITIVE is solely for the Western Blot test that is a confirmatory test that has to be taken just if an elisa test is positive. That to avoid false positives because the elisa test is highly sensitive and can react to another thing. The Western Blot on the contrary is an specific test not that sensitive but SPECIFIC test that look for the virus itself.

Worried Like U
Unregistered

Clarification new
      #6668 - 07/05/00 07:59 PM

You are absolutely right, I was not clear. I was referring to test results being indeterminate and not the elisa. Although that was not the way it sounded. Anyway, what I meant was that if you were going to be positive in a month, your test now would probably come back indeterminate, meaning a pos elisa and an indeterminate western blot.

Jedi Master
Unregistered

Re: Clarification new
      #6678 - 07/05/00 09:55 PM

Now it sounds clearer to me and I agree with your positions, very interesting point of view or perspective that can be taken to ease our minds.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2191

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3