Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

This might be of some help to the worried wells
      #66062 - 06/19/03 05:54 PM

Ok check this out everyone!

You CANNOT get HIV/AIDS from doing the following:
hugging, kissing (unless they have a significant amount of blood in their mouth and you have large, fresh open wounds in yours), masterbating, recieving oral sex (unless they have a significant amount of blood in their mouth and you have open, fresh genital sores), fingering a female, fingering someone's anus, (unless, once again you have FRESH, OPEN, SUBSTANTIAL, BLEEDING wounds on your fingers and are exposed to someone elses sexual fluids), holding hands, dogs, cats, bats, using the public phone, sharing a drink, eating someone elses food, using the public toilet, protected intercourse (unless the condom slips off or breaks), swimming pools, jacuzzis, tears, saliva, urine and sweat also do not pose a risk.

You CAN get HIV/AIDS from doing the following (but it doesn't mean you WILL):
Unprotected anal and vaginal intercourse, sharing needles with a positive person, and drinking the breast milk from a positive person (I would find it hard to believe that an adult would drink breast milk from another adult, but whatever floats your boat). There is always a chance of getting HIV/AIDS from risky behavior, but it doesn't mean you will. HIV/AIDS is actually harder to get than an STD!

Theoretical Risk:
Performing oral sex on someone. It hasn't been proven that you can get HIV/AIDS from performing oral sex on someone. Coming into contact with someone's sexual fluids can potentialy pose a risk, but it's not very likely in the case of oral sex. Saliva actually has a protiene in it that kills the HIV virus. So once again, this is only a THEORETICAL risk. HIV/AIDS actually dies once outside of the body and exposed to air.

Symptoms:
Symptoms mean nothing! Some people never get symptoms. Some people get flu like symptoms and some people only get a mild cold. These symptoms can begin anywhere from 2 weeks to 10 years! There is no specific symptom/s! Don't analyze yourself based off of symptoms. Stress can actually cause a lot of the symptoms you all have described in your posts. Stress can even cause a fever! I bet a lot of you didn't know this! So once again, SYMPTOMS MEAN NOTHING! If you feel ill, go to the doctor. Don't assume it's ARS!

Testing:
It is recommended that testing be done 3 months after your last exposure. This is concidered conclusive. The only time you should retest at 6 months is when you've had a KNOWN exposure or your doctor recomends it. Your 3 month results will be accurate! Do not mistrust your results. It will cause you more stress than is needed. The only time a test result may not be accurate is if you already have a disease that has suppressed your immune system, such as cancer! The only FDA approved home testing kit is called, Home Access. You must also wait 3 months after your exposure to use this test. Their results are just as good as your local clinics results.

Guilt and the HIV Fear Deamon:
A lot of people feel guilt for having sex. Especially those who have done so while married or before getting married. First, everyone must realize that we are indeed animals and that sex is natural. Hell, sex is fun! There is no reason to feel guilty about having sex! (unless you are married and cheating on your spouse). People must learn to uncover the real reason for feeling bad. A lot of people use HIV/AIDS/STDS to mask what is really going on. They become panicked because they feel they have done something wrong. Don't let this happen to you. Don't become afraid of commiting a completely human act for fear of getting a disease, but at the same time, don't become lax and stop using protection or cheat on a spouse. People must learn to find a happy medium. Be safe, but don't become fearful. If you have a concern about having contracted a disease, talk to your spouse or significant other. This will help with a lot of your guilt issues. Guilt is actually the number one reason for stress. And stress can cause physical symptoms. It's all psychosemtatic folks!

Protection:
ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS AND AGAIN, ALWAYS, USE A CONDOM! If you don't have a condom, don't have sex! It's that simple. Another good way of protecting yourself is to talk to the person you're about to sleep with. Ask them about their sexual pasts. Ask if they've been tested. If you don't know a person, don't sleep with them. It's that simple. Condoms will protect against HIV. They must however be, latex, not past the experation date and fully in tact! Novelty condoms and animal skin condoms do not protect against HIV. Also, birth control does not protect against HIV or STDS. Latex is the only way to go! It's actually quite easy to have a healthy sex life and stay safe.

Last but not least:
Everyone, please stop arguing on this board. All information is helpfull. Showing support is what we are here for. We are not here to debate posts or put anyone down. Do I make myself clear? I hope so! Now go enjoy yourselves. Make a pie, go to the park, play some Monopoly. Your lives do not revolve around this board anymore! Best wishes to everyone, I'm going to go eat a lot of ice cream and go swimming! Huge smiles and stay safe!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: This might be of some help to the worried well new
      #66068 - 06/19/03 07:10 PM

The part about symptoms is wrong... at least 50% and as many as 90% have ARS symptoms the most common are fever , swollen glands and a rash.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#66075 - 06/19/03 07:52 PM

Does anybody have any thoughts on the comment regarding oral sex? I have never read that the virus dies once outside the body. Also, the CDC states that although very very few, there has been cases of people becoming infected by giving oral sex. Comments?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#66088 - 06/19/03 09:22 PM

I know for a fact the part about the symptoms is correct. The poster made it very clear that some people don't get any symptoms, but some do. That poster was right. The part about the virus dying once exposed to the air is also correct. The CDC doesn't have one single report of someone getting HIV from oral sex. The reason the CDC doesn't is because they can't be for certain that people only participated in oral sex. It is indeed a theoretical risk. The poster was very informative and the information was very correct. You should give this person a hand. He/She was exactly right on! Good job, poster! You're a smart person!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#66108 - 06/20/03 06:05 AM

Its very confusing,people who engage in oral sex would most likely engage in sex aswell so I guess you could never know for sure if they got it through oral sex.I'd say the most accurate way of finding out is getting 50 pos ppl and make them give oral sex to 50 neg ppl and see how many ppl get infected.But thats silly coz I hardly believe there would be any1 willing to participate in this test.My advise is stuff it and live your life coz you can never really avoid it.You can do your best to avoid hiv but lets face it you never know if you'll be exposed again or not.Seven years ago I had unprotected sex and after my neg result I promised my self I will never put my self through that again.About two years later I was attacked and stabbed by a syringe.I panicked and said "not again".The test came negative again.Few months after that I helped stop a man from beating a woman in the street.He was the junkie type and after I smashed his teeth he spat his blood in my eyes and mouth.Again I [censored] myself but my test came out negative.After that my barber cut me when the customer before me was an openly gay man who I know well and never has safe sex.Ofcoarse off I went for my fourth yes I said FOURTH bloody test and again I was negative.I've wasted 7 years of my life worrying about it.So you see you just never know.Besides my 1st test I realy should never have gone for the other tests I was just paranoid,I had more chances of dieing in a car crash.Due to my stress of hiv over the years I've destroyed my health.Just stop worrying about it ppl,if you have safe sex and dont share needles then stuff all the other risks you think you got coz there is nothing you can do about it.If you wish make it a routine to go once a year to get tested along with everything else but dont stress over it because in 60 yrs your destiny is in a box six feet under anyway so make the most of it besided liviing each day with fear.Yes you will all die one day but you know its not today so choose to live dam you.I've rambled on enough,what was the question again? lol

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: This might be of some help to the worried wells new
      #66113 - 06/20/03 10:04 AM

2 weeks to 10 years for symptoms to show up???!??? I think you misunderstood.

ARS typically begins 2-4 weeks after an exposure. It lasts only about a week. Anyone actually infected will test positive after ARS. However most people that complain of ARS symptoms on this board are complaining of non-related symptoms that have nothing to do with HIV.

If a person is infected and is not on medication, then at about 10 years OI's will start to present. OI's are NOT the same thing as ARS during the initial infection.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#66114 - 06/20/03 10:09 AM

Go the the safe sex fourm on this board. There you can learn all sorts of things such as: the virus does die upon exposure to air. Oral sex is low risk for giving, the CDC says there have been a few cases. Theoritical for receiving since the CDC says no one has been infected by receiving oral sex.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#66115 - 06/20/03 03:55 PM

Hey everyone debating this persons post, she/he is correct. I work for Planned Parenthood. The information that this person supplied is awesome! And yes, it can take as many as 10 years for symptoms to ever show! This is why we have people who don't know they're infected until years down the way. Oral sex is a theoretical risk weather it's insertive or receptive! Almost no risk in recieving oral and once again, almost no risk in giving oral. It is less risky than any other sexual activity. And yes, the HIV/AIDS virus does die one exposed to the air. The CDC says that any kind of sexual act that is unprotected puts you at risk. They have to say this to cover their butts! I agree with the other poster who said that his/her original information was most informative and very correct! Thanks for your post!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#66117 - 06/20/03 04:47 PM

So in my post a few days ago, I had a man cum on my face, it ran down to the corner of my mouth, and maybe a little got in my mouth, not really sure. Shortly after, the corner of my mouth was red and burning, this lasted for about 1/2 an hour. I did not notice any cuts or sores or any blood at any time. The majority of the information I am getting is that there is virtually no risk with what I described. In your opinion, would this be correct?

About a week after the exposure, I began feeling fatigue and nausea, 4 weeks after, I had a sever sore throat, only lasted a day, doctor gave me zithromax for it. A week later it still feels a little tender, but not very sore at all.

THanks for your time.

Troy

Anonymous
Unregistered

#66133 - 06/20/03 07:07 PM

Troy,
Ok, I'm having a hard time with this because people know when they get cum in their mouths. It's hard not to know. I really don't think you have anything to worry about though. Zithromax is commonly used to treat skin infections, tonsillitis, and STDS amoung other things. Slight nausea, fatigue and a sore throat for one day, are not indicative of HIV. Do not self diagnose based off of symptoms. Symptoms mean nothing. Saliva has a protein that will kill the HIV virus. If you're really worried about this, talk to your doctor and have an HIV test. Make sure your test is 90 days post exposure. So yes, in my opinion, you have nothing to really worry about. I know saying this won't make a difference though. Only you can decide what's best for you. So, if you need to take the test for peace of mind, then do so. You're going to be just fine. Best wishes!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#66135 - 06/20/03 09:09 PM

Thanks so much for your reply. I honestly believe that I did get a small amount of semen in my mouth, not directly as there was no oral given, but I think it did run down my face or off of my lips and into my mouth. The good news thus far is that the test i just took came back negative. It was only at 5 weeks, but I'll take it for now. I have read where alot of people will test positive in the first 25 days or so. It has been 5 weeks and I still have fatigue, slight nausea, discomfort in my throat (nothing severe) and today, blood on the toilet paper. I am still worried about my symptoms, but from the advice I have gotten here and the results of my test, I am not nearly as worried that it is HIV. I am sure that between now and 2 months from now, I will have worries and when I test at the 3 month period, I am sure I will be very worried about the results.

I really appreciate you taking the time to write, and hope that others will do the same either about my situation, or anything the have experienced or know that I have not had posted yet.

Thanks again,

Troy

Anonymous
Unregistered

#66141 - 06/21/03 12:03 AM

Troy,
I'm glad your test came back negative! Wooo hooo! Blood on your t-paper probably means that you have hemorrhoids. And believe it or not, hemorrhoids can actually be caused by stress! When a person is stressed out they tend to hold their breath without even noticing. Sometimes people will also have either constipation or loose stools due to stress and all of those can cause hemorrhoids! I think you're going to be just fine! Congrats on your test! And you were right about most people testing pos. within the first 25 days. You really shouldn't worry about anything! Sounds to me like you're A-Ok, Right as Rain and Peachy Keen! Smile a little and live your life to the fullest! Hugs!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#66158 - 06/21/03 07:13 AM

On this board you have to specify that while it does take 10 years for Advanced HIV Disease symptoms to appear if a person had tested then they would have tested positive. Right now these people are only thinking in terms of ARS symptoms. I can bet someone will post a while from now saying that they read on this board that it can take 10 years for 'ARS' symptoms to show.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: This might be of some help to the worried wells new
      #66181 - 06/22/03 11:03 AM

lol too many unlesses,its these unlesses I'm worried about.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
2 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3765

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3