Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

SYMPTOMS AFTER 14 1/2 YRS ...TEST NEGATIVE
      #65584 - 06/13/03 04:16 AM

I had a risky encounter 14 1/2 yrs ago, that was followed by diarrhea in 3days, coated tongue in 3 weeks and sore throat after 8+ week. A doctor friend who screened my blood 5 months post exposure told me over the phone that i was negative which i felt difficult to believe. Recently after 14 1/2 yrs I tested rapid HIV 1&2 and ELISA 1&2 both again came back negative. But I see specific symptoms like night sweat, heart burn/chest pain, diarrhea in my 16 1/2 yr old son, who was not breast fed since my exposure. My wife too is anemic with body pain and occasional diarrhea and fatigue.

Any one heard of 1)children getting infected from parents in casual contact despite being cautious? 2) some body to test negative but the close family members to have symptoms ?

Very worried and confused pls advise.....thanks

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: SYMPTOMS AFTER 14 1/2 YRS ...TEST NEGATIVE new
      #65585 - 06/13/03 11:06 AM

NO! Your child did not become infected via casual contact! Your test at 5 months was neg. Your are neg! I would say that 14.5 years is more than enough time for HIV to rear its ugly head if you had it. See a doctor to find out what is ailing you, but its not HIV.

X-happy
Unregistered

#65588 - 06/13/03 03:59 PM

I'm sure most doctors would say that it is some virus and it will clear up. But 14.5 years is such a long time. I hope you're starting to recover.

It's not HIV. There are a lot of people suffering like you for years after an exposure. Also a lot of us here are in their first year of this syndrome. I hope you can find peace with your disease.

You can take a T-cell subset to know how your immune system is doing.

X-happy

Anonymous
Unregistered

#65590 - 06/13/03 06:57 PM

WOW, you are still worried after all these years and all of the negative results that you had. You need to see a shrink right away. Your fears are irrational!
By the way, what was your exposure? I bet it was not that risky!!1

Anonymous
Unregistered

#65610 - 06/14/03 04:08 AM

You people are so kind and very comforting in your words...I really felt better when some of you said that it is not hiv. But then what about the symptoms????mouth ulcers(not persistant), thrush, diarrhea, stomach problems, fatigue,etc., HIV is a chronic problem. May be we are just begining to have aids after carrying the virus for 14+ years. One thing I can tell you, if what i have is hiv and my child contracted it through casual contact then lots of other children might have contracted it...I am just going crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#65611 - 06/14/03 06:07 AM

You should check these symptoms with a doctor not with medically unqualified people like us!!
I do not quite understand why do not you believe your test results? You tested negative then your are NEGATIVE!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#65614 - 06/14/03 09:45 AM

Mouth Ulcers, Thrush, diarrhea, stomach problems, fatigue can be caused by any number of minor things and over a 14 year period I'm sure any and all of us have had those things. Half your problems are so common that you can get something to help you at the drug store.

You certainly haven't been infected with HIV for 14 years.

X-happy
Unregistered

#65644 - 06/15/03 04:51 AM

This is real puzzling. I would hate to call you a hypochondriac because I'm not a psychiatric. It's very irresponsible to deal with mental health in such a lousy way. If your symptoms are mental, then you need a doctor's diagnosis for it too.

Come on guys, you already determined that this guy is a lunatic without even knowing him. He does have proof that symptoms have been running in his family.

First of all, if all of you are negative at this point, then that should be a good proof that you have not seroconverted yet. Or maybe you did not get them tested.

It does seem that there are other nasty virus (probably from the herpes family) that can cause such prolonged debilitating symptoms. Sure, you need to get in touch with doctors. But they may not have the answers.

X-happy

Anonymous
Unregistered

#65645 - 06/15/03 06:38 AM

Dear x-Happy

I did not get my family tested. My wife knows about the exposure where as my son has no idea of what is happening.
Next month i am going to do a PCR test and more ELISA myself. The only symptom that I have right now which started 14 1/2 yrs ago..is oral thrush that failed to clear on several treatments with Nystain. It is my family's conditions/symptoms that is worrying me. Doctors say the same thing...that if it is hiv you would have started to lose weight by now and there will be fever and infections...blah blah..blah

But seriously, are there more people like me with such symptoms after an exposure who repeatedly tested negative??
What do you think the chance of three individuals to be alive after 14 1/2 from infection if we were infected with hiv???? specially a child of 2yrs can he grow up to 16 1/2 yrs without aids medictions? but he did have bronchitis during most of his child hood.. your comments highly appreciated....thank you

X-happy
Unregistered

#65701 - 06/16/03 12:28 AM

Is your thrush diagnosed by a doctor?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#65714 - 06/16/03 03:23 AM

yes last week i consulted a new doctor who confirmed that it is thrush and he prescribed mycostatin which turned out to be useless . but he said from my appearance i dont look as if i have been infected for 14+ yrs and it cant be hiv.

X-happy
Unregistered

#65746 - 06/16/03 06:42 PM

This is mind-boggling now. There are a lot of people like you. I just talked to a guy with 7 years of symptoms and another with 10.5 years. It's not HIV for sure, but it seems pretty bad. Now I don't have much hopes of getting out of this illness. It's my first year of misery.

You can go to this group. You will find a lot of people like you:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aunknownstdviralillness/

Sorry to hear your story.

X-happy

Anonymous
Unregistered

#65776 - 06/17/03 03:48 AM

Thanks for that site. It seems there is a whole world of people like us and the medical world is keeping quite about this..strange. Now what are your symptoms?? And the one to whom you talked to, the one with 10.5 yrs symptoms..what is he suffering from??

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3635

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3