Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
jjj

Reged: 06/09/03
testing accuracy
      #65393 - 06/09/03 03:58 AM

hi all.
can anyone post some actual links (from reputable sources) about the accuracy of a six-week antibody test? i am interested in data from both 1st and 3rd generation ELISAs. i have searched the net (and this site / message board) and not found anything conclusive. mostly, on this message board, i find the info i am looking for (six week test is 98%), but no links to back up the info or reference to ELISA generation. it would really put my mind at ease if someone could post these links. i know that my results will not be conclusive until the twelve-week mark, but it would help me to know how good my chances are.

if anyone is interested, my exposure was vaginal with sex worker and condom failure - i don't know how long i was exposed inside her. two weeks following, glands started to swell in groin, low grade fever, muscle pain, fatigue, etc. that's when i started to worry. in any case, most symptoms are gone now at week nine (apart from glands, which are now swollen in my neck as well). my six week antibody and p24 tests were both negative, but i am not sure which generation ELISA the lab was using.

any help would be appreciated. thanks a lot!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
Re: testing accuracy new
      #65394 - 06/09/03 08:04 AM

P24 is one of the tests used by the blood banks to catch early infections. The reason for the P24 is because the body produces antigens before antibodys. Once antibodys that the ELISA can detect appear then the antigen begins to disappear but there is an overlap for a period of time.

I don't know the percentages, but since you have been negative at 6 weeks with BOTH tests, then I would say you have a more than excellent chance of having a confirmatory negative at 12 weeks.

jjj

Reged: 06/09/03
      #65396 - 06/09/03 12:25 PM

thank you very much, jackie. it puts my mind to ease a bit. i still would like to get my hands on concrete stats about the accuracy of a 45 day ELISA (1st and 3rd gen). if you come accross any of this info, it would be great if you post it.

thanks again. you're a star! :)

jj

Anonymous
Unregistered

#65448 - 06/10/03 02:04 AM

try calling the GMHC. I was told by them that a 6 week test is 99% accurate and I believe they get their stats from the health dept.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2226

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3