Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Jimmy
Unregistered

Take a deep breath and get tested FOR YOUR OWN SAK
      #64180 - 04/23/03 04:38 PM

To all you worried wells out there.

Please folks, I am sorry to be brutal but please please please keep a grip on your situations. I have read so much on this forum and so many of your are killing yourselves mentally. Lets be honest, what is the difference to the end result if you do get a test? answer nothing, SO DO IT and live your lives free of all this fear. There have been so many crazy notions on here, for instance and from a previous posting:

Where have all of you gotten the idea of floaters being a sign of HIV? When doctors speak of patients with floaters, they are speaking of people with VERY advanced HIV disease and a CMV infection in their eyes. Believe me when I tell you that by the time you had floaters that result from HIV, you would not even need a test to tell you that you are positive. It happens LATE in the disease when you have a severely damaged immune system.

Floaters, itchiness, muscle/joint pains, fatigue, rashes, malaise (general ill feeling), dry mouth, muscle twitches/spasms, tremors/trembling, weight loss/loss of apetite, stomach problems (which also result in a sore throat, sinus problems, ear problems, chest pains, diarrhea, etc.) because of build up of stomach acid/acid reflux, are all symptoms of ACUTE ANXIETY!!!! This is not a guess, this is medical FACT. When the mind is suffering, the body will feel it, period.

Other problems that people use as a diagnostic tool for HIV are directly related to dry mouth; which is also caused not only by anxiety itself, but by anti-depressant medication which many of you are probably on - or should be! Some of these include burning mouth/tongue, sores in the mouth, coated tongue (which many people mistake for thrush), dry throat, chapped lips, gum disease, etc. The thing that people don't realize is the importance of saliva. It serves the mouth as a cleanser, antibiotic and antifungal medicine.

Do any of you think that people are trying to lie to you about the testing procedure? This is not a joke to the doctors, scientists, researchers and laboratories, nor is it a joke to those who are actually infected. Taking all of these unnecessary tests is robbing those that actually need help of resources. You are delaying hope for millions!! Take ONE antibody test at three months, and if that isn't enough, take ONE at 6 months, and then stop!! These tests are designed for this, they are one of the most reliable and accurate tests in medicine. Taking PCR DNA, PCR RNA, viral load tests, etc. are meant for MANAGING HIV, NOT DIAGNOSING IT!! You are driving up the costs of these tests and cutting off the lifeline of those that need it; STOP!!!!! You can't get HIV from looking at a prostitute, going to a strip joint, someone farting on you, toilet seats, public phones, or giving someone that has HIV a long, firm, loving hug. Please, don't keep hurting people by taking away their only hope (affordable management of HIV).

DON`T SELF DIAGNOSE, YOU ARE NOT A MEDIC, GET TESTED AND GET RID OF YOUR FEARS!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
x-happy
Unregistered

Re: Take a deep breath and get tested FOR YOUR OWN SAK new
      #64195 - 04/23/03 05:30 PM

Jimmy

Thanks for your uplifting message! I am one of those with clear symptoms that have been stopping me from having a normal lifestyle for the past 6 months! All my tests are indeed normal. What really makes me hopeless are the agonizing stories of people who have been sick for years and testing negative.

Jimmy, neither me nor most people here got sick after sitting on a toilet seat or waving to a prostitute. Most of us have had vaginal sex (protected or not) with prostitutes from epidemic countries. Don't we have a reason to be concerned then? If not then what to do about those symptoms?

Regards
X-happy

Jimmy
Unregistered

Re: A Reply To X-Happy. new
      #64240 - 04/24/03 02:21 PM

X-Happy,

OK I hear what you say and you do have a point but a small one I might add.

Before I answer, you just stated and I quote “Most of us have had vaginal sex (protected or not) with prostitutes from epidemic countries. Don't we have a reason to be concerned then?” I have to challenge you on that one, are MOST people on here in that bracket? I doubt it somehow.

Anyway, lets take a look at that particular risk group, sex with a sex worker in a Country with a high HIV rate per thousand population. Fact 1, for the client to be able to get HIV from a sex worker it is a pre-requisite that the worker has in-fact HIV themselves. I cannot give you percentages of those in the sex industry who are HIV + however my guess is not all of them. Fact 2, you also mentioned protected sex, if it’s protected you are very very very unlikely to get infected, that’s what in this case protected means. I do prefer to call safe sex safer sex as no-one can totally guarantee 100% safety. Point 3, if you take a look at the safe sex forum you will see many times a statement made by Bob Frascino, he says that the chance of infection from a one time incidence of unprotected vaginal sex for the insertive partner is between 0.1% and 0.3%, that’s between 1 and 3 per thousand, does that put it into context? If you were the sex worker who was performing say 20 acts of unprotected vaginal sex each day then there would be far more concern.

On the point of “concern” let me tell you a true and tragic story. An old friend of mine back in 1999 had an encounter in a gay/bi sauna, I won’t bore you with all the details however his possible exposure was low risk. He was at the time 37 years of age. Just after a month had gone past he admitted that he was not feeling well, various symptoms many of these have been listed on this forum. He became absolutely frantic about his HIV status, he was literally worrying himself into a grave. He opened up to me one evening and poured his heart out but he was so afraid of HIV that he could not at that point bring himself to test. We talked and I pointed out a few things to him. The first was this: He was a very, let me be kind, big man and I mean big as is very fat, he was quite round if you know what I mean. I asked him if he worried about his weight, he said “no” but he was worried about HIV. He also smoked like a chimney, he was a real chain smoker, I again asked him if he was worried about his smoking, he replied “no”. He was also a very big drinker of alcohol, I asked again if he was worried about his drinking to which he replied “no” but he was still worried about HIV. Are you getting my point here? Anyway, to cut a long story short he did eventually get tested and yes is was negative. I went with him as support when he had his results, the relief on his face was remarkable, he wept.

The final part of this story is that 8 months after his test I and many others went to this mans funeral. He had a massive heart attack while at work. The autopsy report stated that his lungs were shot, his liver was badly damaged and he was generally in overall poor health. This was a man who was not at all worried about his weight, his smoking, his drinking, no, he was worried about a virus that he did not have.

Did the worry of HIV help this man to his grave earlier, well I can’t answer that but my guess is that it certainly did not help.

Finally, there are two very good reasons why all people with possible exposures should not procrastinate and get a test: 1. In the unlikely event that it came to be positive then you could start to live with it, plan accordingly, get treated and live your life. 2. In the likely event that it is a negative result you just live your life.

Both ways, you live you life.

Jimmy

Scott1999
Unregistered

You are so right!! new
      #64241 - 04/24/03 03:44 PM

I posted a note like yours before to try and help some Worried Wells. I to got numerous comments back (I think some of them were from this same XHappy guy) I got no where. He and many others are consumed by the fact they had and have symptoms similar to ARS. This is probably true. Most had a low risk if not a no risk exposure with some kind of sex worker or whatever. No doubt these people were scared but when they got there negative results they had already convinced themselves they were positive. Many have tested more than 10 times using all kinds of test. (western blot , Elisa , PCR DNA , PCR RNA , and even PERT. They actually have a group on Yahoo where they all talk about their findings (not one has developed a positive test of ANY kind). I personally beleive this has caused most to go over the deep end. They get together and diagnose themselves and have more HIV test run only to be told again and again they are negative. Yet they arent convinced and make ridiculous statements about how they are dying.
I love your commemt and think it needs to be said more.

Some final stats: (if you would like to argue these please post to Dr Bob or the GMHC because they have stated them before)
95% of people show positive by 25 days
98-99% show positive by 6 weeks
99.99999999 show postive by 3 months
HIV testing is some of the most ADVANCED in the world- they dont mess up these test
Symptoms mean NOTHING.

If you are worried then get tested and move on. If you are looking for advice about tesing and window periods or what ever then please use the Safe Sex forum with Dr Bob and Ryan. Please dont come hear because their are plenty of people here they would like company in their search to find their mystery HIV that doesnt exist.

Peace

Anonymous
Unregistered

#64242 - 04/24/03 04:07 PM

"What worries you is these people that have been ill for years" Listen you have to make up your mind NOW. Are you going to be one of those people in 2 years or are you going to be well and happy. If you focus on these sites and every sore throat your body gets than I can promise you in 2 years you will still be sick. You are better than that man. I bet you have testd outside the window period and probably with more advanced tests like RNA and DNA. Then here is a statement that will make you happy. THERE HAS ONLY BEEN TWO REPORTED CASES EVER WHERE PEOPLE SHOWED POSITIVE AFTER 6 MONTHS OF TESTING- AND BOTH WERENT USING TODAYS TEST. NO ONE IN HISTORY HAS EVER SHOWED POSITIVE WHEN USING ELISA AND PCR TESTS TOGETHER OUTSIDE OF THREE MONTHS_ EVER EVER EVER!!!!
So go home eat healthy workout do some yoga get a dog do whatever it takes to tell your body your well and that you wont let your subconscious controll your body anymore

jIMMY
Unregistered

#64257 - 04/24/03 07:13 PM

AT LAST, SANITY, THANK YOU WHOEVER YOU ARE.

Jimmy

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
      #64264 - 04/24/03 09:07 PM

Excellent Posts Jimmy. Too bad it will mostly likely fall on deaf ears.

They are the only ones that can convince themselves to move on. They have to decide. They have to want to get the help they need.

Some, thankfully come to their senses early. Others, not until they have ruined their lives. It's a shame, however I don't think anything you, I or anyone else can say will make any difference in when they decide enough is enough.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: You are so right!! new
      #64265 - 04/24/03 09:11 PM

I went through those posts here and elsewhere. I was not able to find a single case of a person who finally managed to get over those AIDS-like symptoms. You know, that would definitely be a great help. You're right; it will be difficult for those of us to meet those of you who are not experiencing those symptoms anywhere in the middle.

Anon

X-happy
Unregistered

#64267 - 04/24/03 09:46 PM

Jimmy

I'm grateful for your attention. You give me hope.

You're right. Maybe not MOST people are in the bracket that I indicated. However, if you take a deeper look you will find a lot of those worriers were in fact involved in either unprotected sex or promiscious protected sex where massage oil was used with the condom. As you acknowledged, the possibility is there of course even it it's little.

Having said that, I am not claiming that I caught the HIV virus, well because first of all it IS very difficult to catch from one or two or three (even) promiscious exposures. Second of all, I tested negative by many methods up to 5.5 months.

What I am proposing, Jimmy, is that there is another virus that is transmitted in a much easier manner than HIV1 and HIV2. The number of cases struck by this virus has constantly been on the rise for the past few years. Those victims have always been told that they are wacked and insensible, etc. Some of them managed to get used to their conditions and quit posting and live on with a new miserable lifestyles because of their symptoms. But they totally gave up on a solution because they unfortunately did not have the trust of doctors.

I did not want to submit to this negativity and be passive about my condition so I contacted several top ID doctors in 2 countries. Most of those doctors acknowledged the fact that I have a bad viral infection. They said it will go away in a few days or so. When this infection did not go away I decided to get in touch with THE top viral research center in the US (somewhere on the East Coast. I'm in Texas). I was fortunate to talk for almost 45 minutes to an Associate Professor who works directly with THE top authority in AIDS in the world. As the rest of my doctors, he did not think it's all in my head. Maybe it's because of my logical approach or my calm attitude. They guy told me that I knew about AIDS more than a lot of the junior doctors who work with him. He did reassure me that I might have been infected with an undiscovered herpes virus. But he nonetheless said that my concern is definitely one of concern. He did advice me to try not to work up my frenzy and to stay calm. He said I should keep checking with him and supply him with as much information as possible about new cases that I come across on the internet. Needless to say, he did not want cases of people who had a lapdance then a recurring sore throat. He did trust my judgement in this. I am a researcher myself but in a different field so I do understand how a research should be approached.

I've been waiting for over a month now for the green light to go meet this doctor. We talk on weekly basis either on the phone or by e-mail. He is still in the process of initiating what he called a "virtual clinic" in order to collect specimen for this new research. He said the funds are already there, but they are in the process of assigning researchers to the project.

All in all I feel blessed to get the attention of some serious infectious disease doctor. But at the same time I feel kind of awkward now that they are taking me seriuosly. I know I sound confused, but maybe because I am. I don't know why I'm posting here now that I've already found a good medical connection. I think I am still hoping to hear stories about people who recovered from similar symptoms as severe and prolonged as mine. There are a lot of people with real exposures and symptoms lik mine. Some have disappeared and some post from time to time. Only one has ever posted that he went back to 100%. I was first assuming (as Jackie Blue suggested) that most people who do not post have simply recovered. To my shock, it turns out that those people have given up on restating their debilitating symptoms and decided to either post somewhere else or to wait for the first opportunistic infection. To your surprise, at least 2 of those people did get their first OI after 2-4 years post infection.

Jimmy (and Scott), I am not expecting you to believe what I believe in. In fact this would be very difficult. I wouldn't if I were in your shoes. Actually I am very thankful to your spending the time to write to me and try to help me. I am also very sorry to hear your friend going at the age of 37. I know a lot of obese people who drink and smoke but not die at that age!!!!! Maybe it was simply his time.

If there is anything that I would expect by posting here is that maybe someone will tell me that they have experienced similar sicknesses to mine and eventually recovered and lived a normal happy life. I still have hope there are such people, in which case maybe those symptoms are not due to a new AIDS virus.

Thanks again for reading ...
x-happy

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2364

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3