Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
AnonymousPC
Unregistered

What do you think: PCR + ELISA?
      #6283 - 06/27/00 09:46 PM

I have 4 weeks since my heterosexual unsafe exposure today and I took two tests: DNA PCR and ELISA. What do you think guys of the reliability of these tests together at this time? I also red that PCR test can give false positive in approx 5% of the cases, so I am terrified. I am trying to work on my chronic obsesive self-diagnosis sindrome which I bet that is very much spread among most of everybody on this board, and with the support of all the great posts I can deal with it a lot more conscious and optimistic.
Please give me your opininon on the tests, I know that most of us did a lot of reading on this subject latelly and some already took these tests. Would you care to share some of your opinions or experience with us? Thanks!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DUDE
Expert

Reged: 06/13/00
Are you saying a PCR test and positive ELISA? new
      #6289 - 06/27/00 11:17 PM

Your subject line is confusing. Did you have a PCR and positve ELISA or are you just using the plus (+) sign instead of the ampersand (&)? If you made this simple mistake, there are many community colleges you can attend.
DUDE

AnonymousPC
Unregistered

Re: It is PCR AND ELISA new
      #6292 - 06/28/00 01:19 AM

You don't have to be rude because of the way I wrote, I may have been confusing, but I am extremly worried ant my worries are for real.

AnonymousPC
Unregistered

Re:PCR AND ELISA at 4 weeks new
      #6293 - 06/28/00 03:13 AM

Now I realize that the way I wrote my question is confusing. SORRY!
Besides the tramendous stress, I also had to work 14 hours straight, so I just posted the question in a hurry.
What I wanted to say is that I took a DNA PCR and an ELISA test today, so I am waiting for the results, sometimes next week I presume. I am curious to find out different opinions on reliability of these tests taken together 4 weeks postr exposure. Thanks again!

DUDE
Expert

Reged: 06/13/00
Sorry I was rude new
      #6362 - 06/28/00 07:48 PM

You're taking the right steps getting tested. I don't know much about the PCR, but about 2 weeks ago there was a great debate about them on this board. Read back and you will find your answers.
The HIV-1 ELISA ANTI-BODY test is very sensative . . .and is considered conclusive at 6 months.
DUDE

Worried 2000
Unregistered

Re:PCR AND ELISA at 4 weeks new
      #6366 - 06/28/00 08:28 PM

I have posted on this before. The HIV doctors/researchers at Harvard/Mass General Hospital in Boston have said that a combination of these two tests at one month is as good as it gets. With a medical certainty, it can tell you if you have HIV.

The reason is that if the PCR is positive, it is probably right. If it is negative, there is a chance that the Elisa will be positive, and the PCR will just be below the limits of detection. There is very little chance that both will be negative concurrently falsely.

Anonymous
Unregistered

...is considered conclusive at 3 months new
      #6373 - 06/28/00 10:25 PM

6 months for the CDC, 3 months for the rest of the world. Havent you read all the post with info regarding the subject? Many persons even in the CDC believes the window period is 3 months but cant say it like a CDC official guideliness.

Anonymous
Unregistered

...is considered conclusive at 3 months new
      #6374 - 06/28/00 10:26 PM

6 months for the CDC, 3 months for the rest of the world. Havent you read all the post with info regarding the subject? Many persons even in the CDC believes and know the window period is 3 months but cant say it like a CDC official guideliness.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2118

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3