Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Tony
Unregistered

I asked the doctor ---
      #61613 - 03/26/03 04:06 PM

Hi,

I wrote to this board yesterday. I took my first HIV test and will call the dr later next week for the results like he told me to do.

I asked him, what if I don't call and under what circumstances would he call me?

He said it is always up to the patient to call, even if the test were to be positive, he is not allowed by law to call me - I have to call him and if I wanted a copy of the test test, I would have to show up on person to get - no faxing or mailing. He said this is a new law and he knows of other doctors that will only tell the person face to face and not over the phone, regardless of results.

The only reson he said that would allow him to contact a patient after the test would be if .... someone dropped and broke the vile of blood. He said he wouldn't call even to tell me I am positive - that is the law.

I read questions from prior posts about not hearing from the dr and if that was a good sign, now I realize that the dr not calling doesn't mean anything.

Of course I will call him when he told me to but I wonder how many people out there who never called back are positive and think they aren't because they didn't get a call back from a "caring" doctor!

Is this how all dr's tell patient their results? I mean, wouldn't a dr want to call the person right away if they were positive?

I will call the dr on 4/4 for the results and post them to this board. This board has helped me since I haven't told anyone about my testing.

Thank you,
Tony

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
Re: I asked the doctor --- new
      #61739 - 03/27/03 06:32 AM

I know confidentially laws are tight, but that does sound odd. Maybe that law is just for your state. My result came in a few days earlier than I expected. They don't give this type of result over the phone, but they wasted no time in calling me and insisting I come in that very afternoon.

evenaive
Regular

Reged: 02/23/03
How will I get my results? new
      #61769 - 03/27/03 07:57 PM

I have been wondering about this whilst waiting to go for the test - I am in the Uk and dont know how I will get my results - does anyone know if I will be called to go back - if I have to ring them - will they tell me the results over the phone - will they tell you its negative over the phone but just tell you to come in if its positive? I have no idea. Anyone know what the routine is for here in the UK?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1194

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3