Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
TheVOICE
Unregistered

Latest from CDC re. Window
      #6074 - 06/22/00 08:38 PM

I had two conversations with representatives of the CDC recently:
1) I participated in a research study that the CDC is doing regarding the recent syphilis outbreak in LA. I had to answer a series of questions, so at the end, I asked the researcher if she would answer a few questions for me. So I of course queried her about the CDC's continued adherence to the 6 month window. Her response, "Around the CDC we use the 98-99% figure at 3 months. Most of us even think the percentage is closer to 100. Nevertheless we have to be the most conservative group because we get the oddball reports. There have been 2 documented cases of seroconversion past 6 months (10 months and 18 months). Even though we have analyzed hundreds of thousands of cases, we have to allow for a wider window just to be safe. But look at our literature that we use to assure blood recipients that the blood supply is safe. In there we talk about much shorter window periods."

2) I spoke with a counselor at the 1-800 number. In the past, the CDC would not provide % for the 3 month test. Now the operators say that the 3 month test is somewhere between 90 to 99.9% accurate. He also added that it would be "highly unlikely" that someone would seroconvert after testing negative on a 3 month antibody test.

It seems to me that slowly but surely the CDC is moving towards the 3 month closing of the window.

Peace.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DUDE
Expert

Reged: 06/13/00
DUDE LUV'S THIS POST new
      #6079 - 06/22/00 09:54 PM

This is a great post. So glad you gave us this one!
DUDE

Jedi Master
Unregistered

Re: Latest from CDC re. Window new
      #6081 - 06/23/00 02:00 AM

"There have been 2 documented cases of seroconversion past 6 months (10 months and 18 months).". This is amazing, only 2 two documented cases, no wonder why most people who follow the CDC guideliness and people like Dr. Gallant and Dr. Feinberg, to name some, say a 3 months window period is highly accurate to percentages from 95 to 99. Basically even Dr. Gallant have said the percentage is at least 99.00%. So I totally agree with you THE VOICE. You like Worried 2000, Mark 2000 and BDG have made great efforts to gather information about the 3 month window period. But specially you and Mark 2000 have even actually questioned the CDC and the responses are the same, they now about the high accuracy of the 3 months window period and that the other countries are not misleading people but then again, like that lady told you, they have to be the most conservative of all. Thank you for your research and for sharing to all of us that information. Me like Mark 2000 and Worried 2000, i think, have come to a stage where we have done mostly all the investigation withing our reach so of course its always great to hear new good news! Thank you very much.

BDG
Unregistered

Re: Latest from CDC re. Window new
      #6122 - 06/23/00 09:15 PM

That is a great post! Good information.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1416

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3