Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

HIV ANTIBODIES
      #6048 - 06/22/00 10:25 AM

ARE HIV ANTIBODIES MORE DIFFICULT TO PRODUCE THAN OTHER VIRAL INFECTION ANTIBODIES? WHY DOES IT NOT TAKE 6MONTHS/3MONTHS TO PRODUCE ANTIBODIES TO THE FLU..

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: HIV ANTIBODIES new
      #6050 - 06/22/00 10:56 AM

I am not 100% sure but it would make sense to me that your body already has antibodies to the flu and other illnesses that we are more likley to get exposed to on a regular basis so it already has some in reserve. Hiv hopefully is not something everyone is exposed too and if they are hopefully not on a regular basis so the body would have to identify the germ and then kinda figure out what kind of antibody to then start producing. Hope this makes sense to you.
Thanks
XOXO

BDG
Unregistered

Re: HIV ANTIBODIES new
      #6067 - 06/22/00 05:38 PM

I don't totally agree with the last post. The part about having some antibodies in reserve. The reason I say this is because every time you catch a cold or get the flu, it is actually a different virus that infects you. You don't become ill with the same cold virus more than once. So when you produce antibodies to it, you are actually immune to that strain of the virus.

HIV is different in the sense that the anitbodies your body produces can't fight the virus off completely.

As for why it takes longer for people to produce antibodies to HIV, I have no clue! But if you think about it, it deosn't really take that much longer. First of all, the average time it takes to produce a detectable amount of antibodies to HIV is around 25 days (meaning about half the people in the world would test positive by then). But notice I used the words "detectable amount". I personally think that the body will begin to produce antibodies almost immediately after infection, but the key here is producing enough antibodies to be detected by the current tests. Also, you have to consider that not many people (if any people at all) have antibody tests done to determine if they had a cold or flu. I'm not even sure if tests like that exist! So, for all you know, it might take upto 3 months to detect antibodies to a regular flu virus too!

DUDE
Expert

Reged: 06/13/00
the question makes a flawed assumption new
      #6070 - 06/22/00 07:30 PM

No one said it takes 3 to 6 months to produce anti-bodies; the HIV-1 anti-body ELISA test DETECTS anti-bodies within that period. It takes approximately 25 days for the human body to produce anti-bodies. Furthermore, other viruses such as the cold or flu have incubation periods. The body reacts differently to each foreign microb. I would also agree, most human have deveoped anti-bodies to common viruses. That's what boster shots are given for the flu. Anti-bodies exists but have thinned out, once the dead virus in introduced, the body reproduces that old anti-body in droves. As for having a new virus for each cold, that is not true. It's a new strain of the cold or flu, and the body is prepared through similar anti-bodies produced from past exposures. To emphasize this point of a virus and the immune systems ability to fight the microb let us look at history. It wasn't HIV or Hepetitus or TB that wiped out the Eskimos, it was the common cold. Here in North Florida, 500 years ago there were 75,000 Timuquana Indians. Now they are extinct. There bodies had never been exposed to common virus like the cold and syphallis and could not fight the foreign microbs fast enough. Childhood exposure to virus plays a key role in an adults ability to survive these viruses. Another example of this is the mumps. If a boy gets the mumps, he's past it in 3 weeks. If an adult man gets the mumps, he can go sterile or worse.

As for HIV, I personally (and I emphazise personally) think this virus is very very foreign to the human immune system. That is why it is so devistating. If humans were exposed to this virus 5000 years ago, we could possible be immune at this point. This virus crossed species, from those dirty monkeys to humans. I would also like to share a fascinating point about viruses in general. I'll post this later
DUDE

BDG
Unregistered

Re: the question makes a flawed assumption new
      #6113 - 06/23/00 08:32 PM

I agree with everything you say DUDE, but just two points! (Note: I love debating). :)

1. It takes the average person 25 days to produce "detectable amounts of antibodies", not just produce antibodies. We have no idea what the average time to produce antibodies to HIV is, because we obviously can't detect them when they start being produced. The levels are too low.

2. When we speak of a different strain of virus (i.e. different strain of cold virus like you mention) in reality what we are talking about is a whole new virus! So you and I were basically making the same point. When we call a virus a "cold virus", we are classifying it under the broader term of cold virus which distinguish several different types of viral particles that cause similar symptoms in the infected individual. It's the same thing with HIV. I don't think it's one virus that has mutated into different strains, but in reality, a group of similar viral particles.

I don't know, I definitely could be wrong in what I just said, but it makes sense to me! What do you think DUDE?

DUDE
Expert

Reged: 06/13/00
      #6126 - 06/24/00 12:47 AM

I'm gonna post a new message on viral replication soon. It will be good!
DUDE

BDG
Unregistered

#6133 - 06/24/00 10:44 AM

Cool. Looking forward to reading it!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3764

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3