Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Transmission Anxiety
      #5943 - 06/20/00 03:27 PM

I know I need to be tested, but here is my story. Recently on a trip to New Orleans, I had unprotected sex with a hooker( at least I think she was) at a strip joint. I ejacualted on her stomach. I know the chances of a onetime vaginal transmission are rare and I dont know she was positive. There were no cuts or sores and no blood that I can recall. I have experienced some diarreha, sweats, and some flu-like symptoms although not severe. I was checked for clap. syph and gonorrhea and all were negative. The anxiety is killing me!!!!!! I have a lovely girlfriend who I want to marry and we have had nothing but protected intercourse for 5 years. In fact I have only had 2 unprotected sex encounters in my life and I'm 33. Anyone in the same boat?????? Please respond .

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BDG
Unregistered

Re: Transmission Anxiety new
      #5945 - 06/20/00 03:42 PM

Sorry buddy, I'm not in the same boat as you, but I think I can say a few things.

You're right, you do need to be tested. And you're also right when you say that you don't know for sure that she is positive, because even though she is having unprotected sex at strip joints, there is no guarantee that she is infected. And you are also right when you say that a one time insertive sexual exposure is unlikely to transmit the virus. The fact that you had no cuts or sores and that there was no blood present is in your favour. And the fact that you ejaculated on her stomach really has nothing to do with your risk, but somewhat lowered her risk of getting something from you (if you had any disease to begin with).

But I guess I don't have to tell you that there's still a possibility that you got infected. With one act it's probably a small chance, but it's real. So you have to get tested after the window period. For your and your girlfriend's sake.

Good luck and I really hope your test comes back negative.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#5947 - 06/20/00 03:53 PM

Thanks BGD,

HIV counselors that I have spoken to feel that I should be OKAy stating that Johns Hopkins did a study on 58 married ,couples, women +, man - and after 300 instances of unprotected sex, 1 man became positive over 10 years. He had herpes, so I guess the numbers are in my favor. But the treat is a killer what window do you suggest for testing????

Thank you

BDG
Unregistered

#5950 - 06/20/00 04:12 PM

I know what you mean. It's probably unlikely that you are infected, but the fact remains that HIV is so damn serious that you have to get tested to be sure! Look at me. I'll be honest in saying that I've been told that the act I'm worried about is about as close to ZERO risk as you can get. But I'm still planning on being tested. Unreasonable on my part? Perhaps (and also most likely). But I'm still freaked out enough to get it done. But I probably have other problems in my head!

Anyway, if you ask me about window periods, I say 12 weeks. That's my opinion and also the local AIDS hotline's opinion (I live in Canada). But you have to make that decision yourself based upon what advice you've been given! Have you enquired anywhere else about the window period (besides the CDC, I know they recommend 6 months)?

Max1
Unregistered

#5951 - 06/20/00 04:13 PM

I understand completely. I too had been safe for years & this one time stupid thing I did & I have to sit a stew about it for 3 months! I have had symptoms too, and even though my risk was classified as "low", the symptoms were real and really scare me. I peruse the board from time to time because I know many others are also in the window period and understand the anxiety.

Best of luck to you.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#5953 - 06/20/00 04:29 PM

Unbelievable is'nt it????

THings are going well and you mix a little alcohol in and BANG thing s get all*&^%$@#$ up. My work productivity has suffered and I feel miserable psychologically. The HIV counselor(in the States) was annoyed because I called hin 4 times in 72 hours and he kept saying, If it was anal,gay sex or a combination he'd tell me something different. I just hate sweating it out. 12 weeks is an awful long time.

Thanks for responding

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Transmission Anxiety Helplessness new
      #5954 - 06/20/00 04:35 PM

Unbelievable is'nt it????

THings are going well and you mix a little alcohol in and BANG thing s get all*&^%$@#$ up. My work productivity has suffered and I feel miserable psychologically. The HIV counselor(in the States) was annoyed because I called hin 4 times in 72 hours and he kept saying, If it was anal,gay sex or a combination he'd tell me something different. I just hate sweating it out. 12 weeks is an awful long time.

Thanks for responding

Anonymous
Unregistered

#5955 - 06/20/00 04:50 PM

What is with the 30 day test??? Non DNA is that accurate?? And if the other STD's were negative, can there be a hope no HIV was present???

Thank you

BDG
Unregistered

#5956 - 06/20/00 05:12 PM

I think the 30 day test you're talking about is a PCR test. They're pretty accurate at that time. The only thing to worry about is a chance of a false positive, because they do happen, and there's no confirmatory test. You'd have to wait for 12 weeks anyway to confirm the results if it is positive. But doctors will perform this test if they think you might be experiencing ARS.

The antibody tests are more accurate in this sense. They don't give as many false positives, and when they end up positive, there is a confirmatory test (either the Western Blot or the IFA) available to make sure the test wasn't falsely positive. But the problem is, like you mentioned, this horrible 12 week wait.

I think the fact that no other STDs were present is a good sign. But again, it only tells you that this person probably didn't have any of these other STDs, or at least that you never got infected with these STDs. Doesn't say anything definitive about this person not having HIV, except that these diseases are more common than HIV, so one who would has HIV from sexual exposure could also have one of these other STDs. I hate to sound a bit negative here, but I want to be realistic too.

Max1
Unregistered

#5986 - 06/21/00 03:36 PM

Here's what I'm doing & I know others are doing the same. Stick it out for about 25 days & then get your first Elisa test. I know it's not 100% conclusive yet, but the 'average' person seroconverts by then. I'm going next week at the 29 day mark. The other benefit of this, gathering what I have read from these posts, is that if you are having symptoms you think are ARS & afterwards you test negative, it means the symptoms you had were not ARS related. I think it'll give me a little piece of mind (provided the test is -ve, if +ve, well, at least you know and can go from there).
After that test, wait the standard 12 weeks & get tested again. I think a 'false positive' PCR test would destroy me, so I am personally avoiding that one. I also don't know if they are considered conclusive, but I think they are.

I've been debating this in my head for a while now.. Do I want to put myself through the stress of 2 (possibly 3 if I wait 6 months too) tests or the day-to-day stress of not knowing anything at all. I chose the former. In my mind, although the 25 day test is not the clincher, it's a most important one.
I feel for you bro, I wish I wasn't so damn irresponsible too. But we all make mistakes 'cause we're human. Best wishes & focus on the odds, not the symptoms.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#5989 - 06/21/00 03:44 PM

Hey man,

Is that the DNA test???? I have been told that test costs like $350 here in the States. Read a post by Anonynous about Magic Johnson....Might help. I'll say a prayer for you.

Regards

Max1
Unregistered

#5992 - 06/21/00 04:10 PM

No, never heard of the DNA test. The test I'm referring to is the standard Elisa test that checks for HIV Antibodies. I don't know much about the 'PCR' test, but I heard that that one costs about $350 or so. Maybe that's the DNA test?
You typically can get the Elisa test for free at a testing center & can even have it done anonymously.

Thanks for the prayers. You're in mine too. I know what you're going through. Everything in my life was fine, I was happy as a clam and then BLAP.. I do something that puts me at risk for a deadly disease. I'm mad at myself for doing it, but I admit I learned a heck of a lesson.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#5994 - 06/21/00 04:44 PM

MAx,

As you can see, I'm stressing. Have suffered from any symptoms???

Regards

BDG
Unregistered

#6001 - 06/21/00 06:16 PM

Hey guys, I don't want to interrupt the conversation about symptoms, but I'm back and thought I'd clarify one thing. The PCR test is indeed the same as the DNA test. It's the expensive one. It can also be an RNA test. I believe the DNA one is quantitative meaning it detects the amount of virus in your blood, while the RNA is qualitative, meaning it detects if the virus is present or not, and not amounts. I'm sure there are applications for both of these, but for diagnosis, I believe the DNA test is preferred.

Also, one quick word of warning about taking a 25 day test. You're absoultely right that it's the average time it takes one to develop HIV antibodies, so about 50% of people will be detectable by then. But if that test comes back negative, you can't assume that the symptoms weren't HIV. What doctors tend to agree on is that after symptoms subside, the antibody test is usually positive within a month. So, it's still possible that you could have ARS, and at the 25 day point, you would still test negative. If you wait a month after symptoms go away, it's reasonable to say that the symptoms "most likely" weren't ARS. But that would most probably be past the 25 day point, and closer to the 8 week mark.

Again, don't want to sound negative, but you should be informed.

Max1
Unregistered

#6003 - 06/21/00 06:34 PM

Thanks much BDG for the clarifications. Given that new info, perhaps I'll have to reconsider the value of the 25 day test. Although it won't answer the symptom question as I thought, I suppose I still might like to get 1 -ve test under my belt.

Regarding symptoms, yes, I have had many of them and that's primarily why I'm here, part of the 'worried well'. I remind myself of the odds being in my favor & that helps to relieve some of my fear.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5995

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3