Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
NegAt49
Unregistered

More window period questions...
      #59265 - 02/21/03 02:52 PM

I tested for HIV 49 days after exposure. The lab used was Quest.
As I understand it, 95-98% of people would show antibodies by then, and since I didn't, I'm likely in the clear.

This, combined with the fact that my possible exposure was only theoretical (masturbation by a pro), I feel pretty good.

My question is simply this: personally, would you retest at twelve weeks?

I know that only I can make this decision, etc, but this is more of a survey to get an idea of the *personal* opinions of you guys, since you are all so well-versed on this subject and so helpful.

I ask because my doctor insists I test out to 6 months, but the GMHC operator told me that personally, he wouldn't have tested at all after such a trivial risk.

I thank you all for your kindness and dedication, and thank you in advance for your answers.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: More window period questions... new
      #59266 - 02/21/03 03:36 PM

I personally think you are good. Especially since you have a low to no risk encounter! I wish my encounter wor a low risk. I had unprotected vaginal sex with a woman I dont even know. Take your resultsand move on. I am waiting for the 3 month widow. Since I have had symptoms(ie swollen lymphs throughout). I just wish I can have a negative at 3 months. Anyway make sure to be safe from here on out. This Virus is not going to get you if you are protective and smart with your choices in life. Dont take risks.
Later

Negat49
Unregistered

#59268 - 02/21/03 03:49 PM

Thanks for your confidence!
I suggest you take a test before 3 months, if possible, just to calm you down. I still worry about my status, against all logic, (the chances that I'm the first person to be infected by masturbation AND part of the small percentage that wouldn't show at 49 days are pretty far in my favor) but I think I plan to reset at 12 weeks just to be sure. I may need more Xanax to make it for that week of waiting, but I think it's necessary for closure.

That's why I'm asking here, though... Not to help me make up my own mind to test again, but to get an idea from the very intelligent folks here whether they, personally, would retest.

I think getting a general set of opinions might help those who are still within the window period. Seeing someone quote percentages is one thing, hearing them state whether they, personally, would trust those numbers, is another...

Anonymous
Unregistered

#59279 - 02/21/03 06:13 PM

I think you didn't have to test at all. Masturbation poses no risk of HIV,...so don't take another test. You are fine, forget about it, but keep in mind, be safe.
a

Anonymous
Unregistered

#59280 - 02/21/03 06:40 PM

well.neg
Don't be too silly...If you don't have any symptom (rash, high fever/night sweat..etc), you test at 49 days is pretty conclusive. Calm down and no need to take medication. Masturbation, especially without any massage oil (which may be contaminated), post low risk or no risk at all. However, u must not assure of that, so..a test of 3 month will be the end of the story. And only have sex with your love u trusted afterward.
and..again..haha...you would not the first one to be infected by masturbation. Believe it or not, I would the first one for sure just for once,..and..well..may be not related to masturbation, but some UNCONTROLLABLE RISK (e.g environmental, or human) that I faced that I didn't notice. Really really unlucky ! I would be the guy (not you for sure as you don't have any symtoms related to hiv, take the following word about the risk so that u know your chance is very very low, but not mine) to be killed by a coconut dropped from the air by an American bald eagle while hiking in the Himalayas only received a handjob in my lifetime.
a quote per Dr. Joel in the forum. Something like that.. Let's see...

Take care

NegAt49
Unregistered

#59285 - 02/21/03 09:44 PM

If you were infected by masturbation, how has the CDC not noticed? They keep very good track of infection methods, as far as I know, and they claim that there has never been an infection this way.

I have had a rash (or something like one: it comes and goes and doesn't have any bumps and is just sort of splotchy on my chest then fades and comes back after a shower or something) and tender lymph nodes, and that is why I continue to worry, but every hotline I've spoken with has said that no one can be infected by a handjob.

How did it happen to you and no one noticed?

Are you sure you didn't take some other risk?

I have a hard time believing this... Thanks for increasing my anxiety, though!

NegAt49
Unregistered

#59286 - 02/21/03 09:47 PM

According to (anonymous) above, there is a risk, since he/she claims to have been infected by masturbation.

Just when I was starting to relax a little bit... Now I have to worry that the CDC stats may be missing cases?!?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#59288 - 02/21/03 11:06 PM

Hi Neg
Sorry for that...If I offend you, increasing your anxiety.I don't mean it...I just want to claim you down. (if u can read this message again), please don't blame me. By the way, you don't really read my previous message carefully.

My case, not yet confirmed..okay!! just the abnormal symptoms + blood work which I didn't before really matched that of HIV. MOST importantly, I DIDN'T SAY I AM INFECTED BY MASTURBATION..got it ???????!!!!!

I just want to assure you that masturbation alone could not constitute HIV. Trust me. So I just want you to relax.

Regarding the rash, I did have bumps, comes and goes (after the exposure). Your rash (no bumps), and just splotchy on your chest then fades and comes back AFTER THE SHOWER is really normal (Trust me again). It is just the allergy about the skin and hot water bath. I experienced that before many many times after the shower(before the exposure) , i will scratch it when itching, that scratch will come and fade. Really normal, no big deal ! Well, your rash doesn't match that of HIV, you don't have high fever/or drenching night sweat, which could probably rule out acute HIV infection. Your tender lymph nodes (how can you sure its location and swollen ?..and just tender ? not your muscles or blood vessel ?).relax..just your fear make you think it is swollen.

As I told you, I may encounter the risk which is out of my sign. So my case is really rare. May be I just infected with some other diseases, and will be tested negative for HIV, so having my pcr rna checked to make it sure.

One more interesting point, people fear of HIV immediately after exposure will be tested 'negative' as they just fear of it. Regarding the symptoms, it must match the 'time frame' too, and symptoms alone means nothing. Only blood test is accurate.

You don't really trust my word, so if u think your rash AFTER A SHOWER (warm bath) is the rash for HIV, and still think you would be infected, then I can't help you. Indeed, you don't have symptoms which you think you have as you feel guilty of the exposure.

Take care, trust my word. no need to think of HIV. If you do, you will ruin your normal life yourself, not the HIV you didn't catch.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#59292 - 02/22/03 07:20 AM

I'm at my 70th day after a protective vaginal and unprotected oral encounter with a female sex worker.All this time , i kept thinking about how i was going to deal with a life , being infected.

One things for sure , it has made me feel more EMPATHY for people who are infected.Whatever comes out of all of this , i'm going to devout my life to helping female sex workers prevent this disease from infecting them.They are at the highest risk of exposures and they have no choice , but to accept this risk , for financial alleviation.

Please keep them in your prayers.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
      #59298 - 02/22/03 08:41 AM

He didn't say he was infected. He's sounds as if he's in the same boat as you. No risk exposure, lot's of unexplained symptoms, but no postive test results. He was just saying he's unlucky enough to be the first.....I wish I had a dime for everytime I read those words.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#59302 - 02/22/03 09:50 AM

Yes, this is the right/normal attitude for those who did experience the possible life transition, but capable of getting through it (not being infected) as they are once in the same boat before - to help those who are infected or contribute to prevent the disease from spreading etc..Go Ahead.

Take Care.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#59577 - 02/28/03 09:17 AM

The next time someone sneezes on you please get tested for HIV because by some unexplained unfortunate circumstance the person who sneezed on you might have an airborne variant of the deadly Human Immunodeficiency Virus - you've definitely got some deficiency - I think its mostly in the grey area of your brain!! Chill out dude - you CANNOT get it by mutual masturbation or the whole planet would be infected - you underestimate the sexual capability of mankind!!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2537

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3