Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
STUPIDO
Unregistered

Greg/jackie/g-man regulars advice needed
      #59182 - 02/19/03 05:41 AM

I've posted quite a few times on this board since I put myself in this position. After my unprotected hetero encounter me being the male. I came down in very ars like symptoms flu, yeast infection,diaharrea,hives,insomnia, gingivitis, maculapapular rash on abdomen which extended down to groin, fever. Transient rash on chest all these symptoms lasted about 10 days. I also experienced vision blurring, dry eyes and major amounts stress as you can imagine. Now I've tested negative on Elisa up to 24 weeks but because of my symptoms I find it very hard to let go. Because of the dry eyes and vision problems I suspect a possible autoimmune reaction. The question I have is that I have done quite a bit of research and have read that possible autoimmune reactions could cause a delay in antibody production would a pcr rna dna at this stage 25 weeks completely rule out HIV. Thanks agin for taking the time to help all of us in this difficult time in our lives. Lets hope we all have the chance to learn from this situation. Thanks again

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
Re: Greg/jackie/g-man regulars advice needed new
      #59185 - 02/19/03 07:15 AM

Having an autoimmune disease isn't a cause to worry about the results of an HIV test. Here's a question Ryan Kull answered about it. There is much more about it in the archives.

Extremely Worried. Need an Answer
Posted: May 29, 2002

Would you be so kind as to put my mind to rest? You state that auto immune conditions can cause false negative antibody tests. This scares me because there are so many people out there with some kind of auto immune condition (diabetes, lupus, hypothyroidism, crohn's etc.etc.) Does this mean that many people have the chance of having a false negative hiv test? Or are there just certain auto immune conditions that affect antibody production or the window period? Please answer, i am scared and need to know.

Autoimmune diseases are more likely to yield an indeterminate result. Autoimmune disease should not cause an antibody test to be falsely negative if the person being tested is actually infected with HIV.

If you think you may have an autoimmune disorder I would certainly see your doctor and find out for sure.

STUPIDO
Unregistered

BUT Jackie would a PCR eliminate the HIV worry new
      #59214 - 02/19/03 06:52 PM

Thanks again Jackie

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
Re: BUT Jackie would a PCR eliminate the HIV worry new
      #59215 - 02/19/03 07:15 PM

Yes, a PCR-DNA would eliminate the HIV worry. They are expensive. It is still recommended that a 3 month test be done. Since you have already tested over 3 months, you already have the negative you need.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1455

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3