Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Help Me Person (from below )
      #59100 - 02/18/03 08:48 AM

so ----
bascially the last test at 37 weeks which was negative is the result i should go by and believe and nothing else?
i should just consider the 24 week positive elisa and indeterminte WB a fluke and move on?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Help Me Person (from below ) new
      #59103 - 02/18/03 10:02 AM

That sums it up real well.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Help Me Person (from below ) new
      #59181 - 02/19/03 05:26 AM

Sounds like it's a fluke and you're OK. Must have been scary though!

Joel Gallant has answered questions like yours and from what I can make out he would say you're OK. If you want to read them go to:
http://qa.hopkins-aids.org/forum/list_questions.html?section_id=61&category_id=91&category=+HIV+Testing

You'll have to browse to find relevant questions, but here's one of his answers which sounds similar to your case

Positive ELISA, indeterminate Western Blot
By Joel E. Gallant, M.D., M.P.H. (13-Jul-1998)

Question
My boyfriend's younger sister (20 y.o -- has had sex without a condom, but is otherwise low-risk) had a positive ELISA result, and one protein reacted to her Western Blot, the others were indeterminate. She is scheduled to be retested (I'm assuming to see if one of the other two proteins have reacted by then) on July 9. Results will not come back for two weeks after that. My question: what are the odds that a positive ELISA and indeterminate Western Blot turn out to be an HIV- diagnosis?

I'm trying to be positive and tell my boyfriend that this is hopeful information (ie, her next test will be indeterminate and she's in the clear, officially, after 6 mo. from her initial test), but I don't want to be unrealistic.

On a more psychological note, what role can he (as brother) and me (as friend/girlfriend) play in helping both of these people (the sister and my boyfriend) cope and take the next steps?

Answer
If her second test is indeterminate, then she's HIV negative. Virtually everyone who has an indeterminate test due to seroconversion will have a fully positive test within one month; the rest are simply indeterminate and can safely put it out of their mind. It's also possible to get a viral load done during this interval, which, if negative, provides a great deal of reassurance, as well.

Her six month waiting period was excessive, and seems a little cruel. The six month rule applies to the time between possible infection and an true negative result, which is not the same thing as the time between an indeterminate test result and a true positive or negative.

Unfortunately, a woman who has unprotected sex without a condom can't really be described as "low risk," so maybe the memory of this scary episode will last, and she'll keep herself very safe in the future, assuming she tests negative or indeterminate. As far as support goes, by the time you read this you'll probably be close to having your test results, and you've probably given her the support she needs. I'm going to think optimistically and assume that she'll get good news in the next few days. Let me know how things turn out.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 857

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3