Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was denied an HIV test in Canada..
      #5852 - 06/18/00 01:35 PM

Hi,

I live in Alberta, Canada and about a 5 weeks ago I had
a possible exposure. I went to the provincial clinics here and was turned down for an HIV test because their policy is to test only 3 months after the possible incident. They feel
that anything done earlier than this will not amount to anything conclusive and only cause anxiety to the patient.

Isn't that ridiculous? I've been told that my risk was low exposure but what about other people who aren't as patient and whose lives have been turned upside down by higher risk
exposures? Isn't it fair to give them some peace of mind
even with a 1 month, 2 month test?

I'm really cheesed and want to do something both for my health, piece of mind but more important, to throw light on how stupid this policy is. I could go in and create another alias profile, fake my name (in Alberta, testing is confidential not anonymous) and get my results but think of the big picture.....that screws up their stats and epidemiological studies in the long term since everyone
has to lie about their sexual history to get to do a test.

Who should I report this to?

AO

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BDG
Unregistered

Re: I was denied an HIV test in Canada.. new
      #5864 - 06/18/00 09:03 PM

Hey AO,

That really sucks! I'm surprised you were told that you can't get a test done. Most places have policies of not refusing to test people.

Are you sure that there isn't any anonymous testing anywhere in Calgary. In Toronto, they have both confidential and anonymous testing centres. You should try calling the AIDS hotline again and asking them if there are any of these places. I personally think it is better to get tested this way, for a number of reasons that I am sure I don't have to get into.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 969

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3