Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
JAnonymous
Unregistered

Joint pain
      #5822 - 06/17/00 03:40 AM

Does anyone have information on joint pain as it relates to HIV as a possible symptom. Is joint pain usually associated with ARS or is it often a stand alone symptom. How common a symptom is joint pain in HIV positive individuals and where does it occur most often?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jedi Master
Unregistered

Re: Joint pain new
      #5828 - 06/17/00 12:37 PM

As far as I know joint paint occurs in infected people during the ARS. Have you ever had a flu or cold? Have your joints hurt then? Im sure it have. So, remember that the ARS its supposed to be a very very strong flu (due to the high viral load at that moment) or mono like symptoms, as a group of symptoms of the ARS there comes, sometimes, the joint paint. But as they are ARS related they are supposed to resume once all the other symptoms have dissapeared as well, that its when the ARS its over and you start feeling "well" again, why? because of the production of antibodies that for the moment controls the situation. Thats another reason why they say 3 months is the conservative frame and that its why also many people say that an effective way of detecting the infection is having a sandwich of test, a viral load test and antibodies test. So, if someones has the ARS, then the viral load is very high and then no antibodies have been produced yet, at least in detectable and effective quantities, so a viral load test should be positive by then, then when there is no more the ARS and the viral load has come down then it is because of the antibodies, so an elisa test would show an elisa positive test. So, if someone has this sandwich and neither is positive thats definetely a good sign. That is also why 3 months is considered conservative. Dr. Gallant has said that the ARS occurs within 2-6 weeks after exposure, and then its been said that after an ars it takes max a month to have a positive elisa test. Do the sum.
Anyway, joint pain is not considered an stand alone symptom at the early stages (ars) it can be considered as a stand alone symptom later, due to neuropathy.

Jeff
Unregistered

#5829 - 06/17/00 01:03 PM

Yes Jedi Masters reply sounds very correct, that is why during ars these symptoms are developed because of a very high viral load in your blood, that means a very high concentration of the virus in your blood.And a natural response of a good immune system sets these symptoms off, like joint pain,fever,swollen nodes etc. With newer studies performed by doctors, that just focus on the ars part of hiv, it is said now that 90% or more people experience these symptoms.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#5840 - 06/18/00 04:39 AM

Jeff, are you sure 90% will experience the ARS if infected? Where you get the update?? For other info I read so far, they said 30 to max 70% of the infected people will have the sign. I am not saying that you are wrong but how confident is your source of information??

BDG
Unregistered

#5850 - 06/18/00 01:04 PM

I'm not speaking for Jeff, but from I've read and talked about, it seems like >90% of people who are infected will experience ARS. And, more specifically, on studies done of people in the acute phase of infection, it seems like there is one major symptom of ARS that people almost always experience (94% according to Johns Hopkins, and I think 98% according to UCSF), and that would be a high fever.

To me, the figures you read where 30-70% of people experience ARS are statitics that were/are gathered over a long period of time when people are found to be HIV positive. The reason this number is innacurate is because a huge number of people cannot pinpoint when they have been infected. If it occurred years back, there is no way they would be able to say confidently whether or not they had ARS. So they are marked down as not experiencing it. But from the studies done on people who were infected and in the window period, the vast majority did experience ARS. This can also be confirmed through studies that were performed on health care workers who were monitored through primary infection. The results were basically the same where the vast majority expereinced some form of ARS.

Hope that helps.

Jeff
Unregistered

Re: new ARS stats new
      #5855 - 06/18/00 02:54 PM

There is a new study being performed right now by the Harvard Mass General Hospital, I read this info here.These doctors only focus on the ARS part of hiv. Like BDG says the old data shows the 30-70% will show symptoms, but like BDG said most can't remember or don't even want to think back.And the fever is almost for sure, everytime, I mean i am not a dr. but that is the new info.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3171

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3