Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rash around Mouth
      #57661 - 02/07/03 10:29 AM

It has been about 6 mts after a possible exposure (receptive vaginal intercourse) my allergies have been terrible, and i recently have delevoped a bad rash (itchy, red and hurts) around my mouth. Could this be a symptom

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
Re: Rash around Mouth new
      #57662 - 02/07/03 10:44 AM

HIV doesn't make a persons allergies worse. Skin rashes are very common and be caused by a number of things. What does your doctor say is causing it? If you're concerned about HIV infection, get a test.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#57663 - 02/07/03 10:46 AM

She said excema (sp), I am still very worried and scared to tested

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
      #57664 - 02/07/03 11:12 AM

Well, Excema doesn't have anything to do with HIV.

Excema will flare as a response to an allergen. BUT guess what triggers an outbreak the most....stress!

You did say your allergies are worse, and seem very stressed over the possiblity of a possible exposure.

From www.eczemainformant.com

A couple of excerpts from their page ‘Factors’

Food Allergy & Intolerances...
A food allergy, or hypersensitivity, is an abnormal response to a food that is triggered by the immune system. The immune system is not responsible for the symptoms of a food intolerance, even though these symptoms can resemble those of a food allergy. In adults, the most common foods to cause allergic reactions include shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, and egg. In children, the most common include egg, milk, and peanuts.

Stress...
Stress can be just as big of a factor as any allergen with this disease. Ever notice people without E start to scratch when they're stressed.

and....here's a little tidbit. Something I'd never thought of...while everyone knows lymph nodes swell when it's fighting an infection....they swell also in response to allergens....

Swollen Glands...
Even people with E assume if their glands are swollen, that they have an infection. Swollen glands are more commonly caused by an allergen if you have E, it's part of the allergic response but infection shouldn't be ruled out.

As far as your exposure, receptive vaginal is a risk. However, exposure doesn't guarentee infection. A study done in Africa a couple of years ago, showed that the odds of getting infected from a one time unprotected exposure with a known HIV positive person was about 1 in 500 for men, slightly less for women.

As far as being scared to test: What more can I say?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1912

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3